Fray all angle milling machine

Lots of luck, soak it in oil, take your time and enjoy the adventure. Take a lot of pictures while on the journey and enjoy the machine you brought back to life when completed.

This Machine sits in a friend of mines basement. It gets used along with old index. He has shop down there

DSCN0329.jpgWhen I picked mine up in the West Virginia panhandle.

DSCN0924.jpg

Post rebuild

Full album

http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/drstan/Fray Milling Machine/story

I've added a 3 axis DRO for X, Y, and what I call X' on the over arm. The overarm gives me almost as much X travel as the usual B'Port.
'
The feed screw for the overarm was broken off, it was missing a graduated dial, and the bearing housing for one end of the feed screw was missing. Several of the gears in the power feed unit were at least partially stripped. Fortunately it was made by BP and internally is exactly the same as a 1950's BP power feed unit. Found the manual including prints on-line.

Mine does not have backgears, so I plan to add a third set of pulleys in order to obtain some lower RPM's. I do not like the orientation of the head and plan to modify it so the head is facing forward, like the typical BP.

DSCN0329.jpg

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0329.jpg

DSCN0924.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This Machine sits in a friend of mines basement. It gets used along with old index. He has shop down there

That's a very nice example. I see it has the optional horizontal spindle. :encourage:

Back