Fair Deal? - 1977 Maxmill HD-VF

DHerman304

Registered
Registered
Hello all, I think I finally found a fair deal on a small used mill. They are asking $1,500 for a 1977 Maxmill (model HD-VF) that comes with a stand and a huge vice. Only one picture of it but it seems to be in decent shape. I think it's a good deal but what do you guys think?

Also, it has a drill chuck on it currently. Does anyone know much about these machines? what other types of chucks can I install (R8?)

Any help would be great!!!!

(FYI I'm looking for my first machine to get into the hobby, will at some point install DRO. I plan to cut aluminum, steel, plastics, maybe some stainless)

Is this a round column bench mill? I presume so since you mentioned a stand. It may have a R8 spindle or possibly a Morse taper.
No other tooling like collets or cutting tools? These mills are pretty common, you might be able to talk him down on the price a bit
Made in Taiwan would be worth a bit more than made in China, usually.
-Mark
ps An oversized vise might be a disadvantage; it may limit your travel in the forward direction and vertically when drilling as well-

Last edited:
Is this a round column bench mill? I presume so since you mentioned a stand. It may have a R8 spindle or possibly a Morse taper.
No other tooling like collets or cutting tools? These mills are pretty common, you might be able to talk him down on the price a bit
Made in Taiwan would be worth a bit more than made in China, usually.
-Mark
It’s a traditional knee mill

Like this one?

8605_1.jpeg

Without pictures it's a little hard to help you with value but here's the Harbor Freight version for reference.

You'll have to check it out carefully, it might be a peach or it might be a lemon. In either case without tooling I'd consider $1500 to be a starting point....

John

1612236613504.png

141735192_3624405414281182_4673222789398821000_o.jpg

Need to know what the taper is and how much wear is there. Also how accurate it was to begin with.

Need to know what the taper is and how much wear is there. Also how accurate it was to begin with.
I asked the owner about taper and accuracy and he said "Sorry, no clue". I'm starting to think he is just flipping it and doesn't know much about it.

Back