Excalibur engine hoist info Lrj3b

Thank you all, my friends. I will try to be careful and under no time staying under the load. It is definitely dangerous.

As the others have pointed out be careful! In particular, do not trust welds on rebar. It is often made out of mystery metal and sometimes it gets incredibly brittle when welded.

Agree with RobertB above- probably not a good idea to use rebar as a structural element, seeing how it is made from (I believe) recycled steel and iron and most likely would be considered one of the lowest grades of steel available- I'd much rather see you use something a bit better. Also, test a few welds by cutting them open to check the penetration and strength.
M

Agree with RobertB above- probably not a good idea to use rebar as a structural element, seeing how it is made from (I believe) recycled steel and iron and most likely would be considered one of the lowest grades of steel available- I'd much rather see you use something a bit better. Also, test a few welds by cutting them open to check the penetration and strength.
M
I agree. It's a hack. I just needed it asap and used it. It's probably 14 feet long each, so it became my choice. Once I got some other metal, I will switch them.

Here's how I tested it and it helped, not saying it's scientific.
I filled a 270 gallon tank with water, which is about 2200 lbs. Then I lifted it about couple of inches and let it hang there for a long time.
If it falls, it wouldn't hurt, but a snap of a beam would be bad. I needed to lift about that much of weight. So if I can double or 150% the weight for testing, it would help, but I didn't have it.

I have successfully used that to take down a mill. My wife held a string from very far prevent the mill from rotating. It was a bit dangerous for me to be near. I used a ladder to stand and pulled down a chain hoist. It's definitely dangerous thing to do.

Last edited:
I think you would be ahead of the problem by saving some money and possibly you life or others . And go to harbor freight with therefore coupon and buy there gantry crane around $700 . . It will fill all your needs and no accidents ,, I hope,, . Seems luck as been following you. I know it's a lot to spend but you think it's nothing if it's a mill or lathe. My point of view you get one life and one body. Pain sucks I live in it.

That single vertical member, gets weaker with every foot longer you make it. I second the idea of the gantry crane.

I think you would be ahead of the problem by saving some money and possibly you life or others . And go to harbor freight with therefore coupon and buy there gantry crane around $700 . . It will fill all your needs and no accidents ,, I hope,, . Seems luck as been following you. I know it's a lot to spend but you think it's nothing if it's a mill or lathe. My point of view you get one life and one body. Pain sucks I live in it.

Yes, thank you for your concern. It was definitely a high risk thing to do. I was thinking about getting a crane before. However, my problem was with storing it after use. It's very big and I don't have room.

Back