Dropped my PM-935TS (successfully)

ClayPort

Registered
Registered
I had been looking for a knee mill for over a year on FBM, CL, and industrial auctions; almost every day, twice a day. A few minutes after the heartbreak of being the second best bidder on my fourth Bridgeport (4 times the 2nd best bidder), this PM935 popped up on FB 500 miles away. I had almost pulled the trigger several times on an new 935 so I was very familiar with the quality and value. After "waiting" to think it over on several FBM and CL machines and loosing them in the matter of hours, I jumped right in with a full price offer, which I felt was very fair. About 10 years old, barely used by a hobbyist, with a PM vise, a PM installed VFD, aftermarket DRO, a box of unused USA end mills, collet and rack, fly cutters, and a box of parallels that only had 2 sets showing use. The add went up and I was the first person to respond at 14 minutes. The kind seller offered to hold it for 2 weeks despite plenty of other local buyers. Seller loaded it with me with an engine hoist and 1100 miles and 5k poorer, I was in business. Wonderful seller and wonderful drive.

Step1: Getting it off the trailer was a different story and I thought posting this might be helpful if anyone else wants to give this a try. Because of the angles and heights involved, another engine hoist was no longer an option. When I first loaded the mill, I dropped it onto two full dimension 2x12"x 6'. To get it out, my dad and I jack-knifed the trailer into my shop (20 foot urban alley), ratchet strapped the mill onto the skids and wedged it between blocking, bolted an anchor into a 24"x24" footing, and used a come along to drag it out of the trailer, with ratchet straps on the backside to keep it somewhat supported. I did the next part solo, slow and deliberately.

Step 2: Next tricky part was getting it in the air without a gantry or engine hoist. I had some free 1/4"x2x2.5 angle laying around the shop. I finished through-tapping the 3/4" mounting hose on the PM's base, ran 3/4" all thread into the base, and rested the angle within drillpress-precise holes over the allthread. I then used blocks and a floor jack to get it up in the air for a few days while I could build my best conglomeration of the David Best & Firestopper mobile base that I could, sans using a brake as shown in this thread : https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/mobile-base-for-a-mill.53405/. The base gets me about 3" over stock height, with all the holes tapped and the M14 leveling feet going through 1/4" tubing plus an 1" of extra matereial I turned on my lathe and welded under the 1/4". I was going to have the all thread go straight into tapped 3/4" holes on the base, but I didn't want to test my luck on my measuring abilities, so it runs through 7/8" holes with lock nuts underneath the base.

Thanks everyone for your support over the last year. A special thanks to Firestopper for all the compliments I have received from friends and family on my stand, and to Mr. Best for prepurchase support and excellent documentation/write-ups on the PM935 and the design difficulties of the combined wood/metalwork in a small urban shop.
IMG_7942.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7940.jpeg
    IMG_7940.jpeg
    559.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7939.jpeg
    IMG_7939.jpeg
    521.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7938.jpeg
    IMG_7938.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7927.jpeg
    IMG_7927.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_7928.jpeg
    IMG_7928.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 65
Also, this Eisen Machinery/ Golden Lighting lamp came with the sale. It says 220v, but has a 110v plug and is very dim when plugged into a 110v 20amp socket. Does anyone know if this was meant to piggyback onto a 220v machine, or is just a bad bulb? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7957.jpeg
    IMG_7957.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7958.jpeg
    IMG_7958.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7959.jpeg
    IMG_7959.jpeg
    227 KB · Views: 15
Also, this Eisen Machinery/ Golden Lighting lamp came with the sale. It says 220v, but has a 110v plug and is very dim when plugged into a 110v 20amp socket. Does anyone know if this was meant to piggyback onto a 220v machine, or is just a bad bulb? Thanks!
should be 220v. Especially if dim.
Don't know why they gave you a 110v plug.
Nice mill. At first I thought the track was a curved track, but then I realized you were bending under the load... pretty risky.
Cut those caster bolts off.. you don't need them that long.

BTW nicely done on the mobile base.

Last edited:
Nice deal, good job getting it setup. I also have a 935TS, great machine. After I've had it for a while I realize that I need to raise it up a bit.

I can't help you your light.

If you have wire piercing probes I'd measure the actual voltage getting to the lamp. The "12V" makes me wonder if it's regulated down to a DC voltage somewhere.

GsT

I had been looking for a knee mill for over a year on FBM, CL, and industrial auctions; almost every day, twice a day. A few minutes after the heartbreak of being the second best bidder on my fourth Bridgeport (4 times the 2nd best bidder), this PM935 popped up on FB 500 miles away. I had almost pulled the trigger several times on an new 935 so I was very familiar with the quality and value. After "waiting" to think it over on several FBM and CL machines and loosing them in the matter of hours, I jumped right in with a full price offer, which I felt was very fair. About 10 years old, barely used by a hobbyist, with a PM vise, a PM installed VFD, aftermarket DRO, a box of unused USA end mills, collet and rack, fly cutters, and a box of parallels that only had 2 sets showing use. The add went up and I was the first person to respond at 14 minutes. The kind seller offered to hold it for 2 weeks despite plenty of other local buyers. Seller loaded it with me with an engine hoist and 1100 miles and 5k poorer, I was in business. Wonderful seller and wonderful drive.

Step1: Getting it off the trailer was a different story and I thought posting this might be helpful if anyone else wants to give this a try. Because of the angles and heights involved, another engine hoist was no longer an option. When I first loaded the mill, I dropped it onto two full dimension 2x12"x 6'. To get it out, my dad and I jack-knifed the trailer into my shop (20 foot urban alley), ratchet strapped the mill onto the skids and wedged it between blocking, bolted an anchor into a 24"x24" footing, and used a come along to drag it out of the trailer, with ratchet straps on the backside to keep it somewhat supported. I did the next part solo, slow and deliberately.

Step 2: Next tricky part was getting it in the air without a gantry or engine hoist. I had some free 1/4"x2x2.5 angle laying around the shop. I finished through-tapping the 3/4" mounting hose on the PM's base, ran 3/4" all thread into the base, and rested the angle within drillpress-precise holes over the allthread. I then used blocks and a floor jack to get it up in the air for a few days while I could build my best conglomeration of the David Best & Firestopper mobile base that I could, sans using a brake as shown in this thread : https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/mobile-base-for-a-mill.53405/. The base gets me about 3" over stock height, with all the holes tapped and the M14 leveling feet going through 1/4" tubing plus an 1" of extra matereial I turned on my lathe and welded under the 1/4". I was going to have the all thread go straight into tapped 3/4" holes on the base, but I didn't want to test my luck on my measuring abilities, so it runs through 7/8" holes with lock nuts underneath the base.

Thanks everyone for your support over the last year. A special thanks to Firestopper for all the compliments I have received from friends and family on my stand, and to Mr. Best for prepurchase support and excellent documentation/write-ups on the PM935 and the design difficulties of the combined wood/metalwork in a small urban shop.
View attachment 505769
Nice job. I can tell you about dropping a PM-935 on its' face. Surprisingly, only real damage was breaking off the electric knee motor. May I suggest when you recover from the purchase and mileage, get 1) knee motor, then 2) the sideways motor. PM has a really good type.

I don't mind cranking and counting with the knee, it's not too awful to live with, but I agree that the horizontal axis needs power feed. It used to be an expensive thing to upgrade and now it's not, the chinese power units aren't half bad at 1/5th the price of a high end unit.

Getting it off the trailer was a different story and I thought posting this might be helpful if anyone else wants to give this a try
I've got a Jet 9x49 in storage that I was hoping to move to my house. Your mill "Net Weight S Model 1430 LBS V Model 1520 LBS" turns out to be considerably lighter though. If I do get the chance to have a shop again @ home, it looks like I'll have to hire riggers. 2300# mill, 3300# lathe & lots of other stuff. It's not going well, it looks likely that I'll just end up selling everything as a lump sum.

Back