Drill Press Vise

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Awhile back I bought a substantial Stanley drill press vise as a replacement for the piece of junk HF vise I have.

IMG_3750.JPG

It is a pain to use because I have to mickey mouse clamp it to the table. About the only thing I like about the HF vise are the slots along each side of the vise to mount the vise to the table. Otherwise it is junk. I would like to create the same feature on the Stanley. I have some angle iron that I could mill a slot in. But how do I attach it to the vise. I keep going back and forth between trying to weld it to the vise or to drill and tap the vise to mount the angle iron. There may be other options that I have not thought.

Suggestions please.

It looks like it has notches built in for clamping it down. However, my theory with vises on a drill press is that they should be heavy enough to not need clamping.

John

I mounted my Palmgren drill press vise on a Phase II X-Y table. Best thing I ever did for the drill press. As John said, I would use the clamping recesses to mount it.

It is definitely heavy enough to not need clamping some of the time. Trying to use the recesses doesn't work real well because the slots on the table are a "X". No matter how I position the vise it never seems to be centered under the quill. So I end up having to use spacers to get things centered under the quill. Mostly I just give up and use the HF vise because it is so easy to get in position.

Do you have a clamping set that will fit the drill-press table t-slots?
like this:
1601985917562.png

Luckily, I have the same t-slots in my mill and drill-press tables. It was not planned, but sure is convenient.
I can use the longer clamps for difficult set-ups.

However, I normally just bolt down one maybe 3-4 inch tall vertical post I made on the lathe.
Just something to stop the work-piece or vise from spinning if the drill catches.
I start drilling with the work-piece or vise against that post.

I would not weld to that vise.
Drill and tap is the way to go.

-brino

DP vises are something I struggled with and semi ignored for most of my life. Few places I worked had a DP vise so I just got used to doing without which wasn’t too bad until I started doing small stuff. I have an old tilting Palmgren I took the tilt base off of and ended up with something a lot like your Stanley. It’s best utility is it can hold stuff on its side. But clamping was a mess because it was always in the wrong place. I finally mounted up a HF XY vise that I had one prismatic jaw for and that was a giant leap fwd. greatly reduced wrestling frustration. The latest version is a Palmgren xy RT with a speed vise. i think that once I get the jaws sorted this just can’t get any better. I had the old Palmgren vise on there for a while but besides mounting it the messing with the screw was a pain. The speed vise was only $20 or $30 in a yard sale.

Attachments

• 48F6BAA6-64A9-4BEC-A007-F83015B1A493.jpeg
    48F6BAA6-64A9-4BEC-A007-F83015B1A493.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 47
I have the same type table on my drill press with "X" shaped slots , there are times I can only clamp one side of the vise to the table but luckily my DP vise(Röhm 7201) has two long mounting slots on either sides which makes it easier to clamp the vise almost anywhere on the table.
I like your idea of attaching two pieces of angle iron on the sides of the vise but if the fasteners are in the way or cause unforeseen problems, I would consider mounting the vise on a steel plate, large enough to mill two long slots on either sides for clamping. that would be my second choice though.
Let us know what you come up with .

Here's another way of dealing with a DP vise that might give you an idea on how to make it work with your vise:

The table doesn't have T slots. The slots go through the table.

IMG_3925.JPG IMG_3926.JPG

My HF vise has long slots like the Rohm vise Ken posted. Really easy to use. I want to create something similar for the Stanley. Part of the problem may be that the vise is too big for the table.

I haven't bought or made a clamping set yet because I have not needed one so far. I only buy stuff when I need something for a project.

I think that I will clamp the angle iron to the table but not to the vise so I can slide the vise in or out to get things centered. Ken I was typing this when you posted the video of exactly what I was thinking about. I am going to try this.

Back