Draw Bar Order of Operations

If you want it to be able flex a bit, that is even more reason to drill a thru hole.
You could save having to turn the .490 dia by having a thru hole to still get the flex and not have to do the extra turning.

This would be my order of ops;
Setup with 4.25 stick out from chuck jaws.
1. Face
2. Drill for threaded end. (and thru hole if desired.)
3. Bore for thread.
4. 60° chamfer to bigger than thread major dia. (for live center)
5. Single point or tap thread.
6. Insert live center.
7. Turn .740 dia to 1.500 shoulder.
8. If needed turn .490 dia.
9. Turn 1.500 dia.
10. Part with extra stock to face off.
11 Flip part in chuck and face to length.

Can I ask why the part is relieved to 0.490" and not left at 0.740".

Can I ask why the part is relieved to 0.490" and not left at 0.740".
Parlo.

Trying to chase down the runout on my Burke No. 4 spindle. I am making the new draw tube as the one I have is ~0.740 the whole length. When I use it, I am instilling runout on the endmill. I am hoping to make a draw tube that allows for the collet socket to self center and not be interfered with by the draw tube. Might work, might not.

Greg

What kind of collets? Collets I am familiar with get their accuracy from the mating points with the spindle. draw bar just pulls it in and clamps the collet.

What kind of collets? Collets I am familiar with get their accuracy from the mating points with the spindle. draw bar just pulls it in and clamps the collet.
3C collets. I check the runout from the collet socket on the mill spindle and see ~.002. Insert the collet and see about the same at the base of the collet, but ~.012 about and inch away from the base. Also the draw bar I have is pretty tight within the spindle barrel, so I'm looking to eliminate one variable to see if I get improvement.

.002 runout in a spindle blows. should be 10x less. Try different collets, sounds like it is not clamping it parallel to the spindle axis..
I would not spend time on the drawbar, I think that is a dry hole.

I may have the wrong type of collet but the 3c seems to have a 0.640" diameter parallel body which should locate in a bore slightly larger to align with the spindle axis. I think trying to use the thread via the drawtube to locate is impossible if your socket is 0.740" bore. Maybe a concentric 0.640" counterbore in the end of the drawtube will help.

3C collets. I check the runout from the collet socket on the mill spindle and see ~.002. Insert the collet and see about the same at the base of the collet, but ~.012 about and inch away from the base. Also the draw bar I have is pretty tight within the spindle barrel, so I'm looking to eliminate one variable to see if I get improvement.

Some thoughts for you...

I agree the draw tube should be setting the straightness. However, 0.002" run out of your spindle also seems unreasonable. Something is wrong here and working on the collet or draw bar would not seem to solve this issue. However, you say the run out is far worse about 1" from the collet base. (What do you mean by "base"? The bottom edge of the gripping surface?) Put a good cylinder, as though it was an end mill cutter, in the collet and measure the run out along the cylinder as a function of distance from the clamp end of the collet. This will tell you if the collet gripping surface truly is not parallel to the spindle axis. Even a decent drill rod will have a better surface and roundness than 0.012". So you could insert it and measure runout along several inches of the rod. Then there is also the issue of having debris stuck inside the collet which would tilt the end mill or drill rod.

By the way, we know that one cannot match all of a surface at one time. Two surfaces contact only at three points only (provided the two objects are perfectly ridged planes). These three points define the plane (parallelism) of operation. When the rest of the surface is very close it provides strength as the metals are deflected (not perfectly ridged) and the contact points change or broadened. Think of this as you would scraping a surface or a mating way. Only the high points contact. Only, in the case of a way, where things are sliding as wear occurs the high points actually wear down and the point contact surface area increases somewhat.

If the spindle is actually true and the collets are good then it would seem that there might be something wrong up inside the draw tube. Perhaps a rough spot or debris is stuck inside pushing one end of the collet off center. I would think that you might be able to feel something that causes 0.012" run out. Look up in the draw tube or at lease run your finger around the inside. Is this run out true for all of the collets or just one? If so maybe the collet is bad and does not seat properly.

One other thought. My spindle/draw tube, as well as the collet, has a pin/shear pin and groove system to lock the phase of things and keep them from rotating as they are being tightened down. I damaged this shear pin once when I had a crash and so I had to disassemble things and remove it . I found that it had probably been partly sheared off before and so this sheared debris might have been tilting the draw tube as material could have been wedged at the draw tube mating surface. Hence it would have caused runout.

(IF you could measure the phase of the run out.... Is it constant relative to the spindle rotation? In the UNLIKELY case that the collet does not have a locking pin, then rotate the collet some amount (45 degrees) before clamping it and measure the run out and PHASE again. If the collet is bad would the phase of the runout not rotate with the collet? If the draw tube is bad wouldn't the phase remain the same as it is locked to the spindle? If the phase is all over the place would that not imply that the spindle has random bearing errors? There are probably other possible issues or causes that might be observed?)

I understand that the draw tube is significantly larger than the collet body. 0.640" for the collet body & 0.740" for the draw tube bore. So there is no way it will ever run true relying on the threads to align it.
The excessive runout away from the collet nose suggests the collet body is not concentric with the bore.

Guys,

Thanks for all the insight. After further thought, I believe that the issue is associated with the spindle. If I chuck the spindle in my 4-jaw on my SB9c, I see some wobble in the socket end of the spindle. Tough to track down what is causing the runout and such an old machine as all of the bearings surfaces are lubricated steel on steel mating. I'm going to put the new draw bar on hold and see if I can quantify the spindle wobble.

Greg

Back