Don't forget about tonight !

I wish my .75 phone could have a longer shutter speed.

My camera has been working other than I don't know how to focus with a long shutter time. Still decent pictures. Now the struggle to get them to my phone so I can share.

All that to say they are amazing right now and no proof

It’s been storming where I am since Sunday, but where I have been this week it storms three nights out of four. On Sunday I was in Healy, Alaska, just north of Denali, and the aurora were right on top of us. They were bright bands—brighter by far than the Milky Way—snaking across the sky, with greens and reds both visible to the naked eye. All those pics are on the big camera and that will have to wait.

The next night (10/7) the storm continued in Fairbanks. Here I am with the big camera getting a “corona” shot straight up, while a curtain was flaming in nitrogen and oxygen behind me. My wife got this photo on her iPhone.

IMG_3812-dsqz.JPG

Here’s another of hers from that night:

IMG_3820-dsqz.JPG

And one of mine from my phone:

IMG_0543-dsqz.JPG

The good stuff from those two nights, and it was exceptionally good even by Alaska standards, is on the big camera.

We spent two cloudy days in Chena Hot Springs but yesterday drove back to Anchorage. Some folks found holes in the clouds, but mine from last night’s G4 storm was filtered through clouds. The clouds were lit from below by Anchorage city lights, but the aurora colors still punched through. I didn’t use the big camera for these. I suspect we’ll have to be content with what we saw on Sunday and Monday.

IMG_0650-dsqz.JPG

By the way, both Sunday and Monday were bright enough to see the colors with the naked eye. These photos are iPhone night-mode 3-second motion-stabilized photos handheld. They look great on a phone-sized screen. The images in the big camera (also 3-5-second exposures) should hold up printed wall-sized.

POSTUS INTERRUPTUS!

I was laying in bed about 2:30 AM here in a friend’s house in Anchorage, composing this message, and happened to look out the window.

IMG_0666-dsqz.JPG

We threw clothes on and drove down to Potter’s Marsh along the Turnagain Arm. Wind was about 40mph and maybe 34 degrees. Lots of clouds, but lots of spaces between clouds. Again, this is an iPhone grab shot, severely cropped. The real stuff is on the big camera. Yes, that is Orion shiny in the East through the green glow.

IMG_0667-dsqz.JPG

Rick “needing some sleep” Denney

Last edited:
The night skies over Hershey Pennsylvania

IMG_5809.jpeg
IMG_5805.jpeg
So you’re one of those guys that invade our quiet little community every Fall!

You were about 2 miles South of my house when you took these photos.

Back