Does this fly cutter look right?

The centerline matters, because your leade angles change very quickly in relation to centerline offset.

Left hand and right hand works like identifying chirality in o-chem, remember dextra- and levorotary enantiomers... Hold out a hand like a lathe tool holder and point in the direction of cut- if your left index finger points right, it's a left hand tool, if your right index finger points left, it's a right hand tool... on the lathe. What's confusing is the tool is upside down and running backwards in your case, so upside down plus counter clockwise equals left hand tool. Vertical flycutters running vertical bits turning clockwise also use a left hand tool. Traditional right-had flycutters run right hand grinds when running clockwise. Clear as mud?

The centerline matters, because your lead angles change very quickly in relation to centerline offset.
Adding positive rake to the cutter will essentially bring the cutting edge back to center (assuming the slot is in the center of the tool). The body of the tool blank doesn't matter, the cutting edge does. Imagine a line from the C/L of the shank across the face of the cutting edge and adjust from there.

Adding positive rake to the cutter will essentially bring the cutting edge back to center (assuming the slot is in the center of the tool). The body of the tool blank doesn't matter, the cutting edge does. Imagine a line from the C/L of the shank across the face of the cutting edge and adjust from there.
Remembering which angles are what is a little complicated to me but I think you just mean to grind the tool height down until center? It already has positive rake. (Tool height being technically width since the tool is turned sideways from a lathe orientation.

Aluminum is "balls out ".

I use the Francified English spelling of "leade" when it's a noun, but drop the E for a verb. The English seem to remember grammar rules long after Americans drop them.
:sherlock:

Is your mill's head/quill locked solidly? That can make a difference
Rigidity is key

In answer to the original question, that thing is poorly made and I would find/borrow/make/steal something more conventional.

Back