Do you document your home workshop activities?

I take lots of photos and document it in the forums… never have been big on videos…

because I am only 5’6”…

Us radio control model airplane builders are big on documenting our projects online. Here’s one of my current builds, although it’s been going for more than 6 years…….

I have taken photos to document my shop/equipment. Sometimes I photo things as I take them apart, better than my memory. I keep a file of what I've purchased, paper and computer. I will document setups that were more complex than typical and projects that I enjoyed making. Day to day stuff, not worth the effort.

Why don’t I document what I do? Because nobody cares what I do. Lol.

I don’t take pictures on vacation either. Because nobody wants to see your vacation pictures.

I do take pictures of things I’ve made. My wife keeps a digital album of the things I’ve done. But I’m the only one who looks at them. She is the keeper of the album though.
LOL, I’m in much the same way. Often I’ve been planning and gathering sometimes for years until the planets align and I can squeeze in some wannado shop time. So it’s often hurried and pics are not my main focus. I also don’t pay attention so much to threads with super sequential chronological pics or vids. I like “just the facts” with the special setups. I tend more to do end product pics. Spread about are the fun (to me) little tips. I guess I’ve been doing this so long usually looking at the end product tells me everything and if there’s something I don’t get I ask questions. “Likes” are nice but comments and questions are the best. No comments or questions and it feels like one hand clapping.

No formal documentation here. I do make dimensioned drawings for a lot of things I build, just to keep things in perspective when building. After the project is finished, the drawings are generally trashed. I photograph some projects while doing them, for others enjoyment (?) on a couple of other forums I frequent.

The iPhone makes it so convenient to photograph my work. I bought the latest-greatest GoPro only to discover that the iPhone did a better job on time lapse, as good or better on videos and the iPhone is much better better for stills.

Some things are documented for myself, some to share on forums and some for the Battleship Texas restoration. I have fantasies of sharing a bunch of “how to” videos on YouTube but the learning curve is steep. My degree in broadcasting is almost useless for today’s videos. I’ve shot some news on 16mm film, some on reel to reel videotape and left that business when Sony 3/4” videocassettes were the commercial standard. Production principles are the same but the technology is very different. It’s hard to turn out half-baked videos when I know how to do it right. Maybe I’ll take some of my down time following an upcoming knee replacement to get up to speed editing videos.

Vacation pictures? Back in the days of film I always shot color slide film. I would lay some sound down on a (cassette) tape using a recorder that would run a sound track and two Kodak projectors. The tape would also record slide changes with a choice of a cut, several speeds of fade and some other options. Once recorded, the show would run itself. People usually like my vacation pictures.

Back