Do you document your home workshop activities?

pgmrdan

Registered
Registered
If you have reasons you don't document your activities I'd like to know them. If you do document your activities what do you use, i.e, camera, computer, notebook, etc.?

Thanks!

I do for most projects. Currently Using a GoPro camera.

I record almost everything either on my GoPros or my iPhone. I save all the video, and then edit what I did for my YT channel. I've had to go back on a few occasions and rewatch disassembly video so I can figure out how to put it back together. LOL!

I do not -- it's too much like work. My career for many years has been in historic preservation and treatments where documentation is an important part. Regardless of the fact that I am very effectively brainwashed in that regard I make a concerted effort to not do it for my own hobbies other than to remind me of how a certain item comes apart / goes back together. I'll take pictures of a particular project if I'm proud of the results or like the way it turned out but otherwise I try to not get too hung up on the "documentation for documentation's sake" idea. I think it's just because of my work exposure, not because I regard the idea as foolish.

For things that require it, I make drawings or dimensioned sketches. If I think a project is of interest, I’ll take some pictures with my iPhone. If I think it could make a good article, I’ll document all steps & setups with my Nikon D5100. If I think others might be interested, I’ll make a video (usually with the D5100, but sometimes with the iPhone if I’m walking around), but as with the magazine articles, editing the video takes significantly more time than the actual project.

Like @francist, I’ll document disassembly (usually photos) to save time during reassembly.

I model everything that I make with Alibre Atom. Most of what I make is for my son's Vintage Racing Triumph GT6 and we have had some people want me to make them the same parts, so it is good to have the documentation. I also put together a binder about how we built the car for people to look at while we are at a race. so I have most of the drawings in there also.

I do some work on the side for the company that I retired from, so all of that gets documented on a spreadsheet that I use for invoicing.

That is All,
Richard

I model everything that I make with Alibre Atom. Most of what I make is for my son's Vintage Racing Triumph GT6 and we have had some people want me to make them the same parts, so it is good to have the documentation. I also put together a binder about how we built the car for people to look at while we are at a race. so I have most of the drawings in there also.

I do some work on the side for the company that I retired from, so all of that gets documented on a spreadsheet that I use for invoicing.

That is All,
Richard
Pay and side work only.

Why don’t I document what I do? Because nobody cares what I do. Lol.

I don’t take pictures on vacation either. Because nobody wants to see your vacation pictures.

I do take pictures of things I’ve made. My wife keeps a digital album of the things I’ve done. But I’m the only one who looks at them. She is the keeper of the album though.

Back