Did You Guys See McMaster-Carr

I wonder if this means MMC is now charging "fees" for their shipping? I hope not! MMC never charged you extra for shipping. They charged you what the carriers charged them passing along their discounted rates. Because of this, I for one did not worry much about the shipping costs since they were always more than reasonable compared to what other vendors charge, for me anyway at least. I too did not like not knowing what shipping will cost before placing an order until I learned this. But yeah, that's great that they are finally showing you the shipping costs before placing your order.

I wonder if this means MMC is now charging "fees" for their shipping? I hope not! MMC never charged you extra for shipping. They charged you what the carriers charged them passing along their discounted rates. Because of this, I for one did not worry much about the shipping costs since they were always more than reasonable compared to what other vendors charge, for me anyway at least. I too did not like not knowing what shipping will cost before placing an order until I learned this. But yeah, that's great that they are finally showing you the shipping costs before placing your order.
As big and well run as they are, I'd like to think they have the computing power to accurately quote shipping.

I was wondering that as well and just placed the same items I ordered back in March into my shopping cart and the shipping was actually slightly lower. BUT, I was surprised to see the piece of brass I ordered in March for $28.95 is now $47.76!

I also put some of my previous orders in my cart, and while shipping looks to be roughly the same or slightly cheaper, I do notice that it's only one shipping charge for what used to be multiple charges when they shipped from multiple warehouses. I wonder if they're eating the cost or if they'll still charge extra after the fact for that scenario.

Now if they would just make the tracking number(s) on the receipt a clickable link....

McMaster Carr is a great company, and I love the speedy delivery for such a terrific breadth of product. I do wish they could add some of the shipping methods that are frequent on eBay...little padded pouches for small durable items like hardware, for example.

I can't recall being, what I think was, overcharged for deliveries from MMC. Not being able to see shipping prices beforehand never deterred me from buying something I needed. Of course, I know shipping a 3' steel bar ain't cheap so I'd see about getting it locally. What amazes me is how I can order from MSC or MMC around 9pm and still get it next day via ground shipping and I'm not that close to either.

Being able to see the shipping charge has become immediately useful. I need some 8020 stock, and shipping for a 10-ft stick is $80, but $7 for two 5-ft pieces. Yes, the 5-ft pieces are slightly more expensive per foot, but it really drives home the point about looking before you leap.

Back