Crane for lifting heavy equipment

nnam

Registered
Registered
A few years back, I made a giant crane for lifting milling machine and lathe. The only issue with it is that it was a giant.

I am thinking of making another one. The 2 ton engine cranes we often see have the two legs narrowed, and pointing outward. That is not a good foot print for fitting into a milling machine or even a lathe. I was wondering why not having it wider, but more parallel. Would that cause issue?

It turns out there are those:

However, for convenience, I am thinking of taking an existing crane such as from Harborfreight, and extends making it 1 foot taller, and 1 to 2 feet wider. This probably helps with the weight in regard that the boom does not need to extend far (and up), which makes it somewhat weaker (but mathematically, it's the same, since the torque is calculated on horizontally). Just longer means the more of the extension (smaller/weaker), and amplify the looseness between them.

Anyone has done this before? It seems to be very quick and simple modification (cut out, weld back a foot of steel).

I am sure safety would be a valid concern, but hope we don't just blanket it as unsafe.

I don't see why it wouldn't work and be able to be done safely. I think the bottom cross-piece might be subject to more twisting forces as it gets wider.

However, for convenience, I am thinking of taking an existing crane such as from Harborfreight, and extends making it 1 foot taller, and 1 to 2 feet wider. This probably helps with the weight in regard that the boom does not need to extend far (and up), which makes it somewhat weaker (but mathematically, it's the same, since the torque is calculated on horizontally).

When I think again, it does help mathematically also, because the object being lifted would be closer to the center, which helps less torque for both the boom and leg when widen the legs.

I widened the legs on my HF hoist using short lengths of pipe and 3/4" threaded rod+nuts - a non-destructive, reversible mod

Here's the rather rusty but (once the jack had been replaced; pissing oil everywhere) very usable engine hoist I borrowed to move various bits (think it's the kind of design you're talking about):

IMG-20240823-WA0003.jpeg

Made in the 80s by some engineering firm in Birmingham (UK, not Alabama).

It hoisted the 500+ lb surface plate without breaking a sweat.

Depending on how much you need it I'd suggest checking with your local rental agency. I rented one with a wide base for moving my mill and it was relatively cheap. If I wasn't using my folding HF crane for working on cars too I'd sell it to free up the space, might still do it when I get done with the latest project.

John

Just an FYI I recently purchased a 2nd Autozone shop crane and was surprised to discover they have seriously beefed them up. While the original reduces to 1/2 ton capacity fully extended the new ones are still 1-1/4 ton fully extended. If I were going to mod one it would be one of these new ones.

I also need as crane similar to those pictured, and similar to your needs. I got one for free, a 3 ton engine hoist that has parallel feet, and a 10 foot boom at longest extension. The problem is that it is a beast. It weighs 600 lbs. It cannot be folded. The legs alone are 4X4X1/4" wall. The boom is 7' 5" high (too tall for many garages) , etc, etc. -- I gave it to a friend.

I have a design in my mind for a foldable crane that takes minimal space when stored, but can work as a 'mule crane' as well as a typical engine hoist configuration. I can allow 24" X 40" when stored. I need the boom pivot to be at 6'6" from the floor, and it has to reach 8' clear, lifting 400 lbs, to lift the stuff I need to lift. I need to be able to disassemble it, and put it in my truck for use elsewhere. No part can be longer than 7 feet.

(a mule crane is when the lifting boom is in front of the crane wheels , and is counterbalanced.)

I would, of course have to build it myself, as no commercial crane does all of this.

Back