Clausing 8525 Riser Block Completed

Jeff,
I saw that mod - very cool and very tempting. I ended up using a Kipp locking handle - it is great in that I can pull back and reorient the handle out of the way on the spined shaft. Your method clearly takes way less force to lock the spindle. Someday....

Last edited:
Jeff,
I saw that mod - very cool and very tempting. I ended up using a Kipp locking handle - it is great in that I can pull back and reorient the handle out of the way on the spined shaft. Your method clearly take way less force to lock the spindle. Someday....
yep, a finger flip and it's locked. It helps since we don't have a spring to pull the spindle back and it has a tendency to drop and destroy endmills.

Does your machine have a spindle tension screw(s) in the top plate? I've seen some 8520/5's that have 2. I have one - it actually works very well.

Does your machine have a spindle tension screw(s) in the top plate? I've seen some 8520/5's that have 2. I have one - it actually works very well.
yes, I have one. it has a soft slug that is compressed by a set screw. It does help keep the noise down, so the splines don't slap.. and it helps slow the drop of the quill while empty, or lightly loaded. If you have a chuck or end mill holder, it will still drop hard. Wish it had a return spring.
I have thought about adding a sheave that winds a line or cable, going back to the motor and another sheave, and a weight on the end of the cable to keep things from dropping. Easier than trying to adapt a spring to a system that was not designed for a wound spring.

Back