Clausing 6913 weight and best single phase to 3 phase option.

RAJ60

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new to your group. So please forgive me if this has been answered somewhere previously. Does anyone know how much a Clausing 6913 weighs. The machine I am getting has a 3 HP 3 phase motor. I only have 220v single phase. Is it best to use a VDF or a Pro-Line Rotary Phase Converter PL-7? Any suggestions, pro/cons, would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome, what I saw online from a machine reseller was about 2000lbs. I am not an electrical guru, but I have 3, 3ph machines I run 1 at a time off of a 5hp rotary phase converter. for a single machine maybe a VFD would be better. The real smart guys will be here soon.

Thanks,
I've seen from 1465 to 2000. Not sure who to believe.

A single phase to 3 phase VFD , programmed to run at 60Hz
Is the most direct method

Be aware that a VFD is not a power source for the lathe as is, you need to directly wire it to the the motor and you can not use any switches between the VFD and the motor say to stop the lathe or change direction, that all has to be done through the programmed VFD inputs and separate switches. Another option at a similar cost to an RPC would be the Phase Perfect PTS-005 which is a fixed 3 phase output power source. Recent experience with the Phase Perfect is to at a minimum size it to the next level of the maximum Hp you plan to run on it. VFD's for the most part you do not need to upsize, but you need to follow the applicable deratings and type of motor load and motor specifications (Hp/FLA). There are also other derating depending on the VFD model.

Thanks for your help!

I’ve been happy with static phase converters from North American.

Will get you going and later you can convert it to a rotary with any used suitable three phase motor.

VFD will require more effort depending on your machine. Check threads with @mksj for how to make awesome VFD conversions.

John

I’ve been happy with static phase converters from North American.

Will get you going and later you can convert it to a rotary with any used suitable three phase motor.

VFD will require more effort depending on your machine. Check threads with @mksj for how to make awesome VFD conversions.

John
I have static phase converters on 4 machines in the shop. One Phase A Matic, 2 American Rotary's, and 1 North America. The Bridgeport has been on a Phase A Matic for over 20 years, The Sheldon Lathe and the Racine power hacksaw have been on American Rotary's for 8 and 10 years respectively, and the Black Diamond drill grinder has been on a North America converter for about 8 years.

I used the Phase A Matic on the on mill mainly because I needed an HD model due to the fact that it's frequently switched instantly forward to reverse for tapping. Later I found the American Rotary's for the Sheldon lathe and Racine power hacksaw. They seem to be every bit as good as the Phase A Matic, but about half the price.

Unfortunately, American Rotary no longer makes static converters under that brand name. They bought out North America about 5 or 6 years ago and all their static converters now carry the North America name.

A static converter generates the 3rd phase through a set of capacitors. It is only active during the motor startup phase. Once the rated speed is met the capacitors drop out and the motor runs on single phase. Thus, the HP reduction of appx. 1/3 when using a static converter.

The Phase Perfect Simple converter appears to be a static converter. However, the description is extremely vague.

Back