Chuck mount on Precision Mathews PM-1022V

cneuor

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While I’m waiting for my shiny new Precision Matthews PM-1022V lathe to be delivered, I’ve been thinking about a few things, and the chuck mount is one of them. After reading a few posts, I became concerned about the mounting system, as it seems to be a big deal. But I’m not sure I understand why.

Here’s my thought: If there’s a back plate available for purchase that attaches to a chuck, what’s the issue? My understanding is that the back plate is essentially an “adapter” for chucks to fit on the machine. So, I’m thinking I should be able to take any chuck, mount it on the back plate, and then attach that to the lathe. Is that right?

And if, as some have mentioned, spare back plates are currently on backorder from Precision Matthews, why can’t I just take the existing back plate off the current chuck and mount it on a different chuck? What exactly needs to be changed on the back plate to fit a commonly-available chuck?

Ok, here is a quick vid for you..

Blondihacks (Quinn Dunkley) has a PM1022V.

In the video linked below (about a new type of chuck), she does mention about the spindle nose (giving exact type to boot) as well as about backplates, concentricity and the need to maintain it in reference to spindle nose and chuck.

Check it out. Worth the watch for the spindle nose info alone, not to mention the interesting new type of chuck. Vid starts at 8:49 where the spindle nose info is mentioned.

Last edited:
Ok, here is a quick vid for you..

Blondihacks (Quinn Dunkley) has a PM1022V.

In the video linked below (about a new type of chuck), she does mention about the spindle nose (giving exact type to boot) as well as about backplates, concentricity and the need to maintain it in reference to spindle nose and chuck.

Check it out. Worth the watch for the spindle nose info alone, not to mention the interesting new type of chuck. Vid starts at 8:49 where the spindle nose info is mentioned.

Thank you so much!

@cneuor

You might find this useful... Quinn posted a "review" on her website about the PM1022V..

"https://blondihacks.com/lathe-pm1022v-review/"
Thank you, GrifterGuru. I just read the article and found it very useful. However, it made me concerned about the machine even more than I was before. I am very new to machining and there is a lot that I have to learn. I noticed that Quinn's article is from 2017 and I am hoping that the maker of this machine, or Precision Mathews for that matter, has made some improvements since then. I wonder if there is a better machine of the same size that is in the same price range.

Thank you, GrifterGuru. I just read the article and found it very useful. However, it made me concerned about the machine even more than I was before. I am very new to machining and there is a lot that I have to learn. I noticed that Quinn's article is from 2017 and I am hoping that the maker of this machine, or Precision Mathews for that matter, has made some improvements since then. I wonder if there is a better machine of the same size that is in the same price range.

@cneuor

You have to remember, that is only one individuals personal view, so treat it as such. Where one individual may find fault, another may find no fault, it depends entirely on the individual themselves as well as a multitude of factors. I would suggest looking at the broader picture, looking for further, more up-to-date, reviews as well as asking for real world experience of the machine.

Maybe start a new thread on here along the lines of, for example, "what is your experience of the PM1022V Lathe". I am not saying use that exact title, but something similar/along thos lines.

Failing that, contact Precision Mathews directly if you have any specific concerns. I am sure they will advise you to the best of their ability.

One of the membersa of this forum works with or for Precision Mathews, though I can not for the life of me remember who that is at the moment.

One one thing you do get with PM is excellent customer service, something other companies may not offer to the degree PM themselves do, though LMS seem to have an equally good reputation.

Last edited:
@GrifterGuru

True that. I keep in mind that the article reflects one individual's view, but that person seems very skilled and knowledgeable. However, I think some of the limits she’s reaching may not be close to what I’ll encounter. So, I’d like to take your advice and create a new thread for this topic.

I do not think that that chuck mounting method is the worst thing. It wouldn't be a show stopper for me if I was buying that size machine in that price range. I personally would think a screw on chuck would have more drawbacks due to they dont like running in reverse. I have a PM 1130v and that machine uses a D1-4 mount, which is more convenient and probably easier to find backplates for. But that machine comes at a higher cost. I would think a call to PM and ask about the backorder issue. The 1022/1030 is a nice machine with power cross feed that is hard to find on a lathe of that size and price.

Back