H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
There was a great thread on another site about derusting:

The gold nugget in this thread is evaporust is mostly this:

A FAR cheaper source.

There was a great thread on another site about derusting:

The gold nugget in this thread is evaporust is mostly this:

A FAR cheaper source.
From the Evsaporust SDS, it is about 16% EDTA. Our local Menards sells Evaporust for $20/gal. A gallon of 40% EDTA from the above vendor would make 2,5 gallons of the Evaporust formulation at a cost of $60 plus shipping while the 2.5 gallons from Menards would cost $50.

From the Evsaporust SDS, it is about 16% EDTA. Our local Menards sells Evaporust for $20/gal. A gallon of 40% EDTA from the above vendor would make 2,5 gallons of the Evaporust formulation at a cost of $60 plus shipping while the 2.5 gallons from Menards would cost $50.
I agree, sometimes I get so wound up saving money that I miss the fact that I didn't.

I like to put evaporust in a ziplok bag and place it in the ultrasonic in heated water run for about 3 or 4 minutes then let it set and repeat in the morning, usually the parts come out looking new.

wow that's a great price. I used to get it for about 17.99 from tractor supply, but for some reason they stopped carrying it. Now the cheapest is HF at 29.99.

I have several small engine gas tanks I need to get cleaned up both internal and outside.
What's the best way to do this??
I have a large ultrasonic cleaner that I last used when I restored my 9A a few years back, it's large enough to hold these tanks.
I read some where about electrolysis using a battery charger and a steel rod isolated and suspended inside the tank.
Any thoughts on this method, does it work?

Personally, I was disappointed with Evaporust. It has fairly limited capacity IMO. I bought a gallon and used it to derust some antique wrenches After three wrenches, it was spent. At $20/ gallon, that is pretty expensive rust removal.

It would be best used for removing the bulk of the rust with mechanical means and using it for final cleanup.

However, electrolysis is cheap, needing only an ounce or two of salt or washing soda and a source of voltage. Common salt, NaCl, works well but must be done outside as chlorine gas is given off.

If/when I buy some Evaporust again, I would use it for small, loose items like nuts and bolts. For anything that I could connect a wire to, I would use electrolysis. For large items, I would use mechanical descaling, followed by a phosphoric acid treatment like Naval Jelly.

One treatment that I haven't tried is molasses. A cheap source of molasses is the local feed mill. We used to buy it mixed in with our grain when we had feed ground for the horses.

Personally, I was disappointed with Evaporust. It has fairly limited capacity IMO. I bought a gallon and used it to derust some antique wrenches After three wrenches, it was spent. At $20/ gallon, that is pretty expensive rust removal.

It would be best used for removing the bulk of the rust with mechanical means and using it for final cleanup.

However, electrolysis is cheap, needing only an ounce or two of salt or washing soda and a source of voltage. Common salt, NaCl, works well but must be done outside as chlorine gas is given off.

If/when I buy some Evaporust again, I would use it for small, loose items like nuts and bolts. For anything that I could connect a wire to, I would use electrolysis. For large items, I would use mechanical descaling, followed by a phosphoric acid treatment like Naval Jelly.

One treatment that I haven't tried is molasses. A cheap source of molasses is the local feed mill. We used to buy it mixed in with our grain when we had feed ground for the horses.
I tried molasses, was not impressed.
I tried potatoes in water, was not impressed, it stunk up the tools.

I do like evapo rust, it works better than you described. I used to do electrolysis, but it can be a pain, and you forgot to mention both hydrogen gas, and hydrogen embrittlement that do occur with electrolysis with washing soda. It is cheap.

Just a reminder on evaporrust, don’t use on spring steel or polished hardened steel. Used it on a pair of dividers and the spring steel that clips on the top of the legs came out in pieces. Some thing about hydrogen embrittlement.

Back