Capacitors Parallel or Series Wired?

The size and voltage rating of the capacitor may give you a ballpark uF rating, as oil filled capacity is a lot less than electrolytic and size increases with uF and voltage rating. Measuring the uF does not necessarily mean that is the original uF. Might post a picture and the dimensions of the capacitor, a 16uF capacitor will be much smaller than say a 60 or 70uF.

Appli Parts Run Capacitor for ac 15 Mfd 370 VAC Product Dimensions: ‎1.6 x 3 inches

JARED Motor Run Capacitor Round 70 uf MFD 370 VAC Product Dimensions: 3 x 6 inches

Same size as a 70 MFD I have on hand. Oval, maybe 4.5 in tall, 3 in wide. Already put it back and used the compressor.

Last edited:
If run capacitor has a bleeder resistor attached then you will read a steady resistance- otherwise it's bad. Caps must be disconnected to test.
Normally, a capacitor (without bleeder resistor) can be checked with an ohmmeter- you touch the leads to the cap and the reading should quickly go low and then start to climb to infinity. If you reverse the test leads it should do it again, but more strongly, and each time you reverse the leads.
This won't tell the cap value, only if the cap is open or shorted. Works best with a needle type analog meter (easier to interpret)
Everyone should have a cheapie Radio Shack analog meter laying around just for things like this- Shameless plug for the Shack :cupcake:
Unrelated. I dearly miss the 'Shack'...

Looks like PART of the problem is the manual thermal protector switch is resetting intermittently, after moving button in and out repeatedly with pliers. It is a Klixon LEC 951, can't cross this over either. the closest I can find is a LEC 157. $112. If I just new the amp rating this is supposed to have, could use something else.

Back