Busy bee 1237g metal lathe

The BB 1237G that I have has a 60mm-8tpi spindle nose. My lathe came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks and face plate. I have looked several times on the interwebs and found nothing that fits. You may have to make what you need. Dabbler has one as well.
I thought it was an odd thread size. Just a tick over 2.5" :(

New project! Make a backing plate to fit the spindle.

busy bee coouldnt help me this one , but im looking to add a 4 jaw chuck to this lathe to bore cylinders , if theres anyone that has done this would be looking for a parts list thanks

@Dabbler do you have a 1237G?

Why yes, I in fact do! so here's the thing: You will have to make your own backing plates or pay/barter for someone to make you one.

Why? I'm glad you asked me!

The spindle is an obsolete size only used for a few years after WW2... It is 60mm X 8TPI thread with a 62 mm shoulder.

- They copied an unusual Colchester lathe from the beginning of metricification of Great Britian. So machines got "half converted". I know 6 other owners of this lathe, and it is all the same.

This is what I’m starting with thx dabbler for the info we have a fab shop very close , what is the largest diameter chick I can use

Attachments

• IMG_3252.jpeg
    IMG_3252.jpeg
    352.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3251.jpeg
    IMG_3251.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 9
Too big a chuck is not necessary a good thing. It can limit how far you can extend the jaws without interfering with the ways on an external grab.
A 6” 4J is about the best I could recommend, an 8” may be too big to get the most use from.

Mine came with two very nice Taiwanese chucks. Very tight. Very concentric. It came with a 7 1/2" 3J, an 8" 4j, and a 9 3/4" face plate. All of them have served me well and seem to be the 'right size'... But If you are buying new, I'd go for a 3J 6" Bison, with a master jaw, and reversable secondary jaws. It is smaller, lighter, and more versatile. It can capture almost the same largest diameter, without the risk of a jaw being "too far out". I've had a few butt-puckering moments with my 4J, but I got the job done! I'd recomment a low profile 8" 4J for this lathe any day.

Kevin, I was just looking at your pics and noticed that the tin splash shield for the motor is missing. Good thing! When mine was relatively new I was cutting up close to the face plate. Unknown to me, the apron will "interfere" with the shield when getting that close to the spindle. Cost me a shaft and half nut in the apron. Removed the shield and all was well. I like the machine and I think you will like yours too.

@Dabbler no apologies necessary, I was hoping you would chime in. You know more detail than I do about these things.

Back