Busy bee 1237g metal lathe

Kevin o

Registered
Registered
busy bee coouldnt help me this one , but im looking to add a 4 jaw chuck to this lathe to bore cylinders , if theres anyone that has done this would be looking for a parts list thanks

I don't have that particular lathe, but by the looks of it, it seems to have a fairly standard chuck mounting system. Adding a 4 jaw would seem to be a matter of picking a 4 jaw chuck, machining a backing plate and assemble.

Not surprising that BB service is of little help. I've got a CX601 BB mill and their customer service is horrible. With BB, you're pretty much on your own once the lift-gate truck drops it in your driveway. They even do everything they can to get out of a valid warranty claim. Been there, done that, got screwed.

I won't even buy a pencil off them anymore. They charge you more for less and then turn their backs on you.....stuff they sell is all the same as ebay/china stuff anyways. The only difference is they charge you a premium for buying from a "brick and mortar" store.

You'd be far better off to pick a quality, aftermarket 4 jaw chuck and make/buy a backing plate than buying BB's overpriced "chinesium". BB sucks....

Last edited:
I found a video of the Grizzly 1237G which I believe is the same machine.
From this pic it looks like it might have a bolt-on chuck.
@Kevin o does your machine have a threaded spindle nose or does the spindle have a flange that the chuck is bolted on to?
Screenshot 2023-07-20 at 11.11.22 AM.png

I seem to recall a discussion with @Dabbler that the threaded spindle nose is not a typical 1.5x8 or similar.
I could be dead wrong though.

I thought that lathe had a 2 1/4 X 8 threaded spindle?
Pierre

I could be incorrect as well. The Grizzly G9249 lathe has very similar components as most lathes of that size as well.
Pierre

The BB 1237G that I have has a 60mm-8tpi spindle nose. My lathe came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks and face plate. I have looked several times on the interwebs and found nothing that fits. You may have to make what you need. Dabbler has one as well.

Back