Bridgeport M head questions.

todd281

Registered
Registered
I just bought my first Mill. I am new to running one so please try to be patient. My understanding is it is a M head Bridgeport with a round ram. 220 single phase and takes B&S 7 collets. The numbers on it are 2596 stamped right up front and on the main body door. I brought it into my basement through a 36" man door, but had to remove the auto feed motor to do so. When it was removed, I lost the oil that was in it. I need to know what type of oil to replace it with and, is that the same oil to use in the Gits cup that supplies most of the rest of the machine. It needs a new drive belt, The one that I removed is 28-1/2 x 1/2 inch the best I can measure it. Anyone know what the correct size is? I would like to purchase a manual for it if I can find one, however I am unsure of the which one to get. Any advice on what I should be looking for in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I will get some pictures posted as soon as it lands. [it is still on skates in the basement] Thanks in advance for any help.

H and W Machine Repair is a good place to start for parts and information. Down loads here for paying members has quite a lot of down loadable information on many machines.

Be aware that the spindle taper may very well be Morse taper #2. I have a M head with a Morse taper #2 taper.

Ted

I ran a M head up until about 20 years ago . Mine also had the MT2 spindle.
BS7 was a thing on early machines

As far as feed motor oil goes, I would think that heavy oil would be best, think like 90wt gear oil
As far as way and general lubricant, Non-detergent 30wt oil works well.
ISO100 hydraulic oil is another great option .
If you measured 28-1/2” on the OD, you’ll need a A27 belt.

Sorry, I don’t have a manual to share, but a google search for the m head BP manual pdf surely exists

Good luck with your new project!

I found some info online about my mill. I also found a company that sell replacement parts. The oil recommended for the head is Mobil Velocide #6. It is a lite machine oil. I assume the power feed uses the same, but have not got an answer as of yet. The belt is said to be 1/2 x 29 inch. I bought one but have not installed it as the mill is in pieces at the moment for cleaning and inspection. It was sold to me as a 22ov single phase, but is actually a three phase. The seller the disconnected it said he noticed a VFD converter mounted in the shop. So now I bought a phase converter that hopefully will work for me. I know verry little about 3 phase so wish me luck.

Back