[How do I?] Best way to bore holes in carbon fiber?

RyanLee

Registered
Registered
I need to drill a few 1/4" dia holes in some 1/4" thick wall tubing.

The example hole is from the factory(yes the layup/material is different).

How do you suspect they made such clean holes?

I've read CF is very hard on drill bits and dulls them fast. The material is abrasive?

What type of cutting tool options are there that will work better then a twist bit? I'm not opposed to using a twist bit if it will cleanly do the job.

IMG_4282.jpegIMG_4280.jpeg

I just cut some 6" diameter oval carbon fiber tube to length using a carbide grit / abrasive band saw blade. It cut easily. I imagine an abrasive bit could be used for holes, maybe something like the diamond grit bits for drilling glass.

I wore a full respirator and kept the cut wet as there was a great deal of very fine dust generated. Not good for the lungs.

I use a very sharp carbide endmill to bore holes in CF at work...

The endmill doesn't stay 'very sharp'... CF will even dull carbide relatively quickly.

-Bear

Professional bicycle wheelbuilders use something that they refer to as an abrasive bit. They look somewhat similar to those diamond drill bits used to make holes in porcelain.

Last edited:
Carbide circuit board drills . For larger holes , diamond hole saws . Machine wet if possible , or use an appropriate vac system . CF was considered a nuisance dust back in my day . Came home blowing black stuff out of my nose for years . :oops:

I need to drill a few 1/4" dia holes in some 1/4" thick wall tubing.

The example hole is from the factory(yes the layup/material is different).

How do you suspect they made such clean holes?

I've read CF is very hard on drill bits and dulls them fast. The material is abrasive?

What type of cutting tool options are there that will work better then a twist bit? I'm not opposed to using a twist bit if it will cleanly do the job.

View attachment 495366View attachment 495367
They could have used a water jet.
depending on how many holes, HSS will drill it. If you have a lot of holes, carbide.
Yes it is hard on drill bits, but one or two holes will be ok. and you can touch them up after if needed.

We used diamond-plated blades & bits at Raymark.

Back