Best horizontal bandsaw for the hobbyist?

I have a Jet 5X6 and it is an excellent saw out of the box. All I had to do was tune it and it has never gone out of adjustment once I set it. I haven't used a HF saw but understand that it requires some work, sometimes a lot of work, to get it running well.

I suggest joining the Yahoo 4X6 bandsaw group for some much-needed info on how to get these saws running well. The major issues with all of these saws are the flimsy table used in vertical cutting and the lack of a chip brush, both easily fixed by most HSM's; the info to do these projects are on that forum. Regardless of make, you will need to tune it up and the best guide to do this is also on that site, as far as I know.

I like Lenox bi-metal 10-14 tooth blades the best. Combined with a chip brush, it has cut without issues in all sorts of metals, including 0-1 steel, for over 3 years now without a blade change or a chipped tooth. Of course, this varies with usage but in a home shop I have had the best luck with Lenox. Starrett blades are okay, too. The OEM blade that comes with any of these saws is junk and won't last long; best advice is to not even install it and go with the bi-metal.

For all metals, but especially harder steels like tool steels and semi-hardened steels, you need a lubricant. Lots of folks use a wet system but its messy. I prefer a stick wax lube that really helps to speed the cut and leaves no mess. With a chip brush installed and was lube on the blade the material stays cool and cuts clean.

The only other shortcoming with these smaller saws is the lack of a hydraulic downfeed, which can be fixed by either buying or making a cylinder and valving. I don't use one and don't miss it in my home shop but if you cut a lot of material every day then it would be a consideration.

Anyone know how to acquire a HF %20 discount coupon? I keep seeing folks mention that they used one, but I don't see them in weekly ads or online.

-Freeman
Just google 20% harbor freight coupon and a current printable source will come up.

I have the HF saw, and wish I had gotten it sooner. I did no mods to mine. just cleaned it up and it cuts great.

THIS:
If you go for the HFT, do yourself a favor and buy the current issue of Home Shop Machinist. There is a coupon in there for the little 4x6 bandsaw (I think it was $179, but could be mistaken).

WITH THIS:

Just google 20% harbor freight coupon and a current printable source will come up.

and you'll be doing as good as it gets ;)

I also have the HF 4x6. Bought it around '99 or 2000 so have used the heck out of it the last 13 years. Best $179.00 I ever spent. I buy better blades from Medford Tool, no other mods done to it. I am planning on eventually tuning it up and building a better stand for it.

The saw is on sale right now for $249 according to the HFT website. With the 20% coupon, you can get it down to $199. Spend $6 on the current issue of HSM, and you will get it down to about $180 (and there is a 20% off coupon in there, and a bunch of others). Make sure your mag has the same ad as mine, in this issue, it was two full pages.

In general, the 20% off coupons are great, but if you have a coupon for a specific item, you will get it for even less.

My first mill project is to make a couple dozen TTS tool holders out of 1.5" drill rod. I'm considering purchasing a new or used horizontal band saw to cut up the drill rod into 3" pieces, and was wondering what are my best options. I could buy new cheap quality from HF, buy new better quality from Grizzly, or wait and buy used much better quality (off of Craig's List or EBay). From what I see you can buy cheap quality tools and improve them for less than $300. If you want better you have to jump up to $800, and very good quality starts around $1200. $1200 new or used is outside of my budget. I would like something between $250 and $400 for my first band saw. Any recommendations?

If I need to wait for better quality (ie. more expensive), I can have my friend cut my drill rod this time. Although, I suspect a horizontal band saw will be something I could use frequently and for as long as I have one.

If you are within a day's round trip from Albuquerque, NM and you have a horizontal band saw you are interested in selling - let me know.

-Freeman (Analias)

I bought an HF 7 x 12 5 months ago for $799. Worked great out of the box. Same saw as the Grizzly 7 x 12 they charge $954 for with freight. Has hydraulic feed, chip brush and coolant system. I use 50/50 glycol anti freeze for coolant (N. Idaho winters) with no problem. Cuts great!

I recently bought a TurnPro gear head 7x12 from Enco. $1, 039 on sale less the 20% off, no exclusions coupon they had made it $830 with free shipping. Has built-in coolant and doesn't make a mess unless I turn the flow too high.

Dave

If you happen to run into one on the used market Delta made a nice one. I picked up the main unit (no stand) at a junk shop. Uses a variable speed pulley system (like a mini reeves drive) running into a gearbox so you can change cutting speed on the fly.

Being a hobbyist with not a lot of room, I bought that little portable bandsaw from Grizzly (the one that comes with a base for shop use). Anyway, the little vise on the base is cheap sheetmetal which isn't too bad, but it's mounted quite a ways from where the blade cuts. So unless I have a piece of metal over 12" or so long, I can't use this thing.

I'll have to make a new vise for it to make it more useful for me, i.e., when I want to cut a part that is only 4" long to start. Oh well.

I got a 4 x 6 hor/ver band saw at Nothern Tool for $300 and it works great.

Back