Best horizontal bandsaw for the hobbyist?

Analias

Active User
Registered
My first mill project is to make a couple dozen TTS tool holders out of 1.5" drill rod. I'm considering purchasing a new or used horizontal band saw to cut up the drill rod into 3" pieces, and was wondering what are my best options. I could buy new cheap quality from HF, buy new better quality from Grizzly, or wait and buy used much better quality (off of Craig's List or EBay). From what I see you can buy cheap quality tools and improve them for less than $300. If you want better you have to jump up to $800, and very good quality starts around $1200. $1200 new or used is outside of my budget. I would like something between $250 and $400 for my first band saw. Any recommendations?

If I need to wait for better quality (ie. more expensive), I can have my friend cut my drill rod this time. Although, I suspect a horizontal band saw will be something I could use frequently and for as long as I have one.

If you are within a day's round trip from Albuquerque, NM and you have a horizontal band saw you are interested in selling - let me know.

-Freeman (Analias)

Oh, if building a horizontal band saw is a good option for the same price range, I'm also up for that. Although, I haven't seen too many DIY horizontal band saw plans out on the net. I did start working on a set of plans this evening, but would be happy something already designed that I can build.

-Freeman

Having never had I better one I can't comment on comparisons but I am very happy with my cheap HF bandsaw. It took some mods to make it work right but it can slice a 3" round rod into an 1/8" wafer that is amazingly even.

Having never had I better one I can't comment on comparisons but I am very happy with my cheap HF bandsaw. It took some mods to make it work right but it can slice a 3" round rod into an 1/8" wafer that is amazingly even.

I agree though right now my band saw is cutting at an angle, need to re-align it.

I added a coolant pump to mine as well. At one point I was cutting like this:

7114338313_fbb3d6fa82_c.jpg
Band Saw Dialed In by Jon Kensy, on Flickr

I need to just re-align it as I was messing with it.

7114338313_fbb3d6fa82_c.jpg

I've had a little Dayton 4"X6" horizontal/vertical (sort of) bandsaw since the 70's. It is likely Taiwan made,though it only says Dayton. Still works fine,and was for many years my only metal cutting saw. I've satisfactorily sawn 6" round stock by rotating the metal after cutting as deep as possible. Now I have also a Roll In,and a proper contour cutting saw. Most times I just use the old Dayton as it is quicker to use than the Roll In.

I have the 4x6 Harbor Freight and I am very happy with it. Other than clean up and assembly it worked great out of the box. The only problem I had was the blade jumping off, but after putting a new HF bi-metal blade on, it cuts smoother and faster. The blade that came with it had a bad spot on it causing it to jump and I think this was causing it to come off. I have never owned any other horizontal band saw, so nothing to compare it to, but this one has been a great addition to my small shop.

Drill rod... -Hard stuff to cut but by no means impossible. Blades... now that's another matter. Go to an application chart and find the proper blade for drill rod if you're going to cut a lot of that stuff. It's tough on blades -no way around it. Stainless steel too. The cuts take much longer.

I too have the 4x6 Harbor Freight unit and get along with it just fine but would like to have the bigger one they carry. I did no mods to mine other than build a taller, more sturdy (less prone to tip-over) base.

BTW: I built taller legs to spare my back from leaning over so much and it works-out nicely because I can use the adjustable table on the drill press, located several feet away, to support long pieces.

Ray

If you go for the HFT, do yourself a favor and buy the current issue of Home Shop Machinist. There is a coupon in there for the little 4x6 bandsaw (I think it was $179, but could be mistaken).

Also, buy a couple Starret bimetal blades. I have cut through quite a bit of tool steel on my saw. 1.5" takes a bit of time, but just set it up and do something else while you are waiting.

Please post your progress. I would like to make some TTS holders at some point too.

My 4x6 is old and green. Has no identifying marks. I got it second hand off Craigs List for $100. It cut geat from the begining and came with 2 spare cheap HF blades. I've since bought 2 new blades, one HF bimetal 22tpi and one Lowes cheapie 14tpi. Works great.

Chuck

It sounds like quite a few people are happy with the HF 4x6 band saw. Maybe I should consider it.

Anyone know how to acquire a HF %20 discount coupon? I keep seeing folks mention that they used one, but I don't see them in weekly ads or online.

-Freeman

Back