Bench center restoration

durableoreo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I bought this Brunswick bench centers last year. Finally got around to fixing it up.

It was an iterative process but eventually I secured 2 gage pins into the Vs with tape and used them to scrape the pads for alignment in all directions. Unfortunately I didn't have 2 of the same size pin, so i had to keep track of which pin was where. Copious notes were needed because I live a life of interruptions. Note the lettering system for the many (20) pads.

Now everything is within a 1/10th except the V is not quite centered when I lay out on its side. The original spec was 0.000,2" over 12" so it's officially good enough.

654828BD-33C6-4C5B-84CA-3E25F15F7090.jpeg

I think I paid too much for this set of bench centers because it was fairly battered and needed a lot of work. I'll call it educational, to justify the purchase after the fact.

It is a neat unit though, with all orientations and sine-bar function built in. The small pads is a clever manufacturing trick because it minimizes machine work and grinding. A lot of bench centers have a mounting point for an indicator. This model has a 1/4-20 hole. I thought of using a small Noga arm but I'll need to make a stud with 6mm on one end to make that work. Normally I use it on the surface plate so I might never need to mount an indicator directly.

I think a wood box is the next step. Perhaps western red cedar.

Last edited:
Interesting piece of kit!
I like the combination corner clearance groove/T-slot!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

The unit came with these centers, which use those T slots.
56A9D98E-9F3D-47F5-9E85-33FFC0FF31F0.jpeg 0378F537-665A-430A-924B-84BFC2808949.jpeg

There's some weird looking bench centers on ebay that are meant to be used on a Gartner microscope. They use the same type of centers but shorter. Mine measure 1.050,0 in. I might see if I can pick up a short fixed center. As it is, the longest part I can measure is 7 in.

Last edited:
Back