Beautiful old American Iron and Steel

It would be infinitely more informative and interesting if you would post pictures of the bearing elements and the mating features of the spindle.
So far, I can only imagine what the configuration is, based on your text description.

It would be infinitely more informative and interesting if you would post pictures of the bearing elements and the mating features of the spindle.
So far, I can only imagine what the configuration is, based on your text description.
I was filthy with blood and guts and grease. I usually take more pictures.

The spindle showing the taper.
20240618_124341.jpg

The main bearing. This is what I faced off to allow the spindle to engage deeper into the bearing.

20240618_124310.jpg

Thank you. The reality is FAR from what my imagination came up with. Very interesting.

Now that you've seen the "guts", do the lower threaded holes, that we previously discussed, have passages to the spindle bearings?

Thank you. The reality is FAR from what my imagination came up with. Very interesting.

Now that you've seen the "guts", do the lower threaded holes, that we previously discussed, have passages to the spindle bearings?
The bearings are supposed to be oiled through the lower holes. Filling those holes fills up a reservoir that fills up through cuts in the bearings from underneath. The spindle rests in an oil bath.

These were turned upside down. I flipped the main bearing to oil properly but I didn't flip the smaller rear bearing. I can still oil it through the top.

The bearings are supposed to be oiled through the lower holes. Filling those holes fills up a reservoir that fills up through cuts in the bearings from underneath. The spindle rests in an oil bath.

These were turned upside down. I flipped the main bearing to oil properly but I didn't flip the smaller rear bearing. I can still oil it through the top.
Very interesting. Much like a tapered Roller bearing without the rollers. I will be following along to see the progress on this old beauty. The topic is right up my alley.

Is the spindle axial thrust taken only by the tapered bearing or is there some other thrust bearing?

If there is no other thrust bearing, I'd like to see a picture of how/where the axial fit is set.

I wonder what the ideal lubricant is for that style of bearing.

Is the spindle axial thrust taken only by the tapered bearing or is there some other thrust bearing?

If there is no other thrust bearing, I'd like to see a picture of how/where the axial fit is set.

I have heard that before the great oil boom Hog Lard was the widely used grease.

Only the shoulder of the spindle really. The taper is pretty steep. Almost 4⁰ per side. I have no idea on the correct lubricant. I'm using SAE30.

The lathe came with the holes in the top of the two bearing housings and the hole in the side of each bearing housing. I didn't know which was for oiling the spindle. The hole in the front of the main spindle bearing was open with no remnants of an oil cup or fitting.

It was while pulling the spindle that I found out that the cone babbit bearings have a reservoir of oil underneath. Both bearings have a generous radial slot to allow the bottom of the spindle to submerge into the oil.

Sometime in the past they had flipped both bearings upside down so the oil would pour directly into the slot.

I did not remove the smaller back bearing but I did remove the main spindle bearing. I reinstalled it so the spindle was again riding in the oil bath.

Today I drilled and tapped the hole in the front of the main spindle bearing for 1/8-27 npt. I installed a nipple with a 90⁰ elbow and another nipple with a cap drilled for a vent.

The best part is now I can monitor the fill level in the main bearing. I can bring the oil level up until it's even with the center of the spindle if I want to ensure there is plenty of oil. Lol.

The side hole on the smaller bearing does nothing until I flip the bearing over and do basically the same thing. Instead of having to oil constantly that part of the spindle should be running in a bath as well.

20240621_181435.jpg

Last edited:
How is the "main spindle bearing"/housing retained in the head and what anti-rotation features are present?

Back