Auto Zone battery died. It was only 7 years old.

David2011

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The last couple of times I moved my truck in the driveway it cranked very slowly. I had to think long and hard to remember when I bought it. When I finally remembered I realized that it was after dark in Odessa, Texas in late 2016. Not bad for a battery that had a 3 year warranty. It was an easy decision to go back to Auto Zone. Fortunately, I looked up the price before going to the store. I might have passed out or had a stroke. The last battery was somewhere around $130 and that was a surprise at the time. The battery that I bought today was $215 before taxes. Same battery as the last one.

longest lasting one I had was from Costco, in my Jeep Cherokee- got 10 years!
I think it cost around 65 $
If you can get 5 or more you're doing pretty good

Last edited:
14 in my 2010 Camry. Had to replace it a few months ago. And yea, the price of batteries is ridiculous.

Think I put the Decca batteries I have in my F250 in when I still had my shop in Michigan. I was a dealer for them then so paid wholesale but I don’t remember how much it was. I sold the shop in 2014 so before then.

Thing I learned about my deisel is it needs two strong batteries and good connections. I wore out the original cables and had to replace them, definitely worth the effort.

For me, the price of being stranded and having to call for help far exceeds the cost of quality parts. I suspect when I need to replace the ones I have now it’ll be $600. Good thing about an old, heavy duty truck though is all the parts are heavy duty so they last a long time.

John

Michigan violates my rule #1. If ya haf ta wear shoos, it’s too dahm cold, mon! Stranded in your neck of the woods can be life threatening. The desert southwest is much the same in the summer. I lived in northwest New Mexico for 5 years and had to go into the mountains of southern Colorado. That’s cold enough for me. Too cold.

As hot as it is here (coastal Texas) right now, there are advantages to living in the sub-tropics.

Ram Diesel was cranking slow this spring. removing them, one of the two batteries would not take a charge.

Checking the Date code on the Napa battery was 6 /08 ... Almost 16 years, my maintenance check .has been lacking.

Only other battery that was that long lived for me was an Original JC Penny battery.

Last edited:
The longest I kept a battery was 13 years. It started life in our 2004 Jeep wrangler. After 10 years it was still working fine, but I didn't trust it to work through another -20*F winter. I changed it out and put the old one in the end loader. It lived there another 3 years before I decided it didn't want to take the chance of it not starting on cold winter days, or miles from the shop in a field somewhere.

I can hardly get the stated 3 years out of Autozone / Duralast batteries - but the climate here is very different. When I lived in Oregon I probably got 5-6 years from the same batteries.

GsT

My 2007 Cobalt had the original OEM battery when I sold the sold in 2019. My 88 Beretta, the original battery lasted near the same and it replacement (AC Delco) was still in the car in 2007 when I bought the Cobalt.
Pierre

Back