Austrian Quality Lathe?

Within the first 7 seconds or less of that video, I can tell by looking it is of Asian origin.

The peeling paint is something I’ve seen on re badged equipment out of China. They all come out of the same factory and paint them different colors. In this case the different color was not the original color and they didn’t bother to scuff the old paint beforehand. Buying a machine that is being shipped uncrated that weighs even 100+lbs is asking for major trouble.

That was one of the unexpected problems with my Checkel that was 110lbs shipped in a cardboard box with thin styrofoam. The styrofoam in the bottom was literally dust when I unpacked it. To my way of thinking I was stuck because if I tried to send it back they would just say I didn’t package it right. I was lucky they had a warehouse in Los Angeles I could go down and swap it for the correct machine. What a white knuckle trip that was!

I watched all 27+ minutes.
I must say I enjoyed the dry sense of humor the presenter/buyer displays.
He didn’t even rant when he contacted the seller to complain about the condition of the (Brand New) lathe.
They offered to send him some paint. How about all those mistake holes?
Or the dent on the ways & wobbly spindle taper?
Kinda like the Marx Brothers running a machine factory.
I’ve never seen such bad workmanship. Really.

I watched all 27+ minutes.
I must say I enjoyed the dry sense of humor the presenter/buyer displays.
He didn’t even rant when he contacted the seller to complain about the condition of the (Brand New) lathe.
They offered to send him some paint. How about all those mistake holes?
Or the dent on the ways & wobbly spindle taper?
Kinda like the Marx Brothers running a machine factory.

Yup, I watched it too...

Definitely not a good thing to see all those "error" holes. Looks like a beginner "had a go" and failed several times over before giving up.

There has been some amazing things guys have posted here over the years that have been that bad. I would guess there is some kind of grading of the products. The more obscure the badge the further down the QC scale. Having worked in a couple of factories it can be tough to get quality work out of underpaid and harried workers. The problem is often exacerbated by the division of labor where the noob get stuck doing a part of the process they are unqualified to do. I think that’s why some things are ok and others are a total fail.

I was a construction supervisor since the early 80's. retired in 2018. carpenter, superintendent, project manager, vice president. worked with skilled and unskilled people. worked with people of all races and sexes. people with good and bad attitudes. no matter what, I looked at their work.

when I moved up to where I wasn't on site all the time, I made sure that the superintendents and project managers that worked for me looked at the work. if they didn't, they got it right the next time or got fired.

if the work was good, the workers were rewarded with encouragement and moved up the ladder and the pay scale. if it sucked but they had a good attitude and I felt they were trying, they got more training. if they sucked and I felt they didn't care, they got fired. either way, if their work sucked, it got fixed before we turned it over. no excuses.

Back