Atlas Craftsman 12x36 lathe Dro install question

Markbinwi

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I’m working on installing a Dro on my lathe. In the photos the green carriage is from the forum and the other is mine. I need to make attachments and I don’t have the 2 tapped holes in my carriage. I would like to add them in the normal location as factory. Can someone measure their carriage and post the layout here?

Thanks in advance, Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpeg
    IMG_0018.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0716.jpeg
    IMG_0716.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 17
100+views and 1reply, I must have not clear on my request. I’m looking for the location of the 2, 3/8-16 tapped holes on the far side of the carriage on an atlas/craftsman 10-12” lathe. If someone can help, the distance down from the top of the dovetail and the distance the holes are apart (to the centers).

Thanks for looking, Mark

Grinderman, just for a last check, does the photo look right?
Thanks Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0717.jpeg
    IMG_0717.jpeg
    577.8 KB · Views: 5
Keep in mind there are two styles of 12" Atlas- early and late. I believe the carriages are different.
Which one do you have?
Also, if this is only for DRO then you could use a different size fastener (#10?) and different spacing- no real need to copy Atlas
You could use epoxy instead of drilling if it's just holding a reader head. Degrease the surface, glue on a bracket and mount to that

Last edited:
Keep in mind there are two styles of 12" Atlas- early and late. I believe the carriages are different.
Which one do you have?
Also, if this is only for DRO then you could use a different size fastener (#10?) and different spacing- no real need to copy Atlas
You could use epoxy instead of drilling if it's just holding a reader head. Degrease the surface, glue on a bracket and mount to that
Mine is a 1974 vintage 101-28990. What kind of accessories would mount in the holes?
I was planning to make a substantial bar for mounting the cross slide scale mostly hanging out the back.
I’m printing a mock-up to see how it fits using the 2 holes. I do have the z scale mounted, everything else is still flexible.

Accessories would be a follower rest and possibly a taper attachment- both are pretty rare
I have a 101-28940 and it does have the holes- Give me a couple minutes I'll measure it

I measure 2" center to center and 0.40 inch down from the horizontal surface of the dovetail to bolt centerline
3/8"-16 threaded holes X2
The 0.40 measurement may actually be 0.375- the lighting wasn't the best. I'll take another measurement tomorrow-
see if I can be more precise
I'm certain about the 2" however

Last edited:
Thanks, looking forward to it. A pic would be great too.

Back