Armstrong 79 148 Bench Vise

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Are replacement pipe jaws available for this vise?

I bought it (used) 20ish years ago and it was in storage until recently.
Armstrong has been out of business for more than 5 years. The pdf catalog (#120) I found didn't include the vise.

I'm wondering if it was actually manufactured by somebody else (Who?) and private labeled for Armstrong?
It has recesses for reversible/replaceable pipe jaws, but there was only one of three jaws present.
I have managed to lose track of the one jaw, so no pictures or dimensions at this time. It will turn up.
I'm wondering if vise jaws form a current production vise can be used to complete this vise.

I'm hoping that somebody can reply that this vise looks exactly like (brand, model) vise and the pipe jaws for it are currently available.
The whereabouts of a NOS stash of Armstrong pipe jaws (at surplus price) would be a welcome (miraculous) outcome also.

If that doesn't work out, I'll have to wait until the misplaced jaw reappears and machine/heat treat two more.

Vise Jaw width = 4.63"
Vise Jaw Opening = 5.75" w/ 100% engagement of screw w/ nut
Vise Throat Depth = 5.5"
Vise Overall Height = 12"

Thanks for looking.

Armstrong 79 148 Right Open.jpg
Armstrong 79 148 ID Plate.jpg
Armstrong 79 148 Left.jpg
Armstrong 79 148 Front.jpg
Armstrong 79 148 Fixed Pipe Jaw Recess.jpg
Armstrong 79 148 Movable Jaw.jpg

I'm hoping that somebody can reply that this vise looks exactly like (brand, model) vise and the pipe jaws for it are currently available.
This vise looks exactly like a Colombian 206 vise and I bet you can get new pipe jaws. But I can’t do the search just now. Lol

This vise looks exactly like a Colombian 206 vise and I bet you can get new pipe jaws. But I can’t do the search just now. Lol
I don't think anything is made under the Colombian name anymore, but the brand is owned by Wilton so things like pipe jaws might still be available from them.

GsT

Thanks for the pointer.
Mine looks like a Columbian 204 1/2 (M2?, M3?).
Since it seems Wilton owns the Columbian brand name now, I guess I'll call Wilton.

Let us know , I just brought a Columbian home from the Uncle's shed .

Let us know , I just brought a Columbian home from the Uncle's shed .

I got around to making the phone calls today. The best number is 800-274-6846 which is for JPW Industries (Wilton parent company) technical assistance.
The fellow listened to my rather complicated story (labeled Armstrong #79 148, same as Columbian 204 1/2, made in U.S.A.) and ultimately told me that they have zero parts for U.S.A. made Columbian vises. It seems I'll have to make my own replacement pipe jaws.

Any on the bay ? Maybe someone makes replacements . :dunno:

Any on the bay ? Maybe someone makes replacements . :dunno:
New information:
eReplacement Parts showed me a part number 10404S46 ($234.44 ea) for a replacement jaw for a Wilton 204-1/2M3 vise.
I called JPW Industries (800-274-6846) again to investigate further. I am assured that it is the correct part number and will fit my vise.
The price from Wilton is $191.99 each (I would need 2 [$384+tax+shipping], assuming I find the one I've misplaced).
Wilton currently has 18 pieces in stock.
If I hit the Lotto tonight, I'm going to order some right away. :grin:

Good GAWD ! You could buy a mill and make them cheaper ! :grin::grin::grin:

Yeah, for $384 you could buy a pretty decent vise (new, or used). Time to make a pair of jaws me thinks. Mike

Back