Anyone see any prime deals today (machinist related)?

I kicked Prime to the curb almost a year ago, and somehow I've survived. From McMaster to Brownell's, TCP Global to Zoro, there are plenty of good companies willing to take my business without helping Bezos concentrate more wealth at the cost of putting mom and pop out of business.
so I needed shoe laces for my boots. I wear them daily. I went to the two shoe repair shops near here 7 miles and 13 miles away, walmart, famous footwear (chain) , Tractor Supply etc. No one had a boot lace for that length. I wound up buying a pair for shoes (thin) to get me by, and then had to order on Amazon. Shoe laces used to be available everywhere, I guess there's no markup, there are too many types, and it just didn't pay. It really surprised me how the repair shops weren't carrying much variety. And that's where I bought a thin pair to get me by. Many stores are carrying the fastest turnaround stuff, and they are all carrying the same things. It's hard to find variety.

For me Amazon is generally a last resort, but not always. Living in a rural area we don't have as many options as those in suburban and urban areas. Which I like being rural, I don't like crowds and traffic.

Amazon is helpful in many ways. Red light ordering, in other words order while you’re at a red light. Time savings ordering, sometimes it’s delivered same day before I get home from work. Business assisting ordering. I can find an unusual product (and price) in moments for a customer, order on the spot, then go on to the next customer. Amazon stores many many mailing addresses for me, I can order for friends, family or business, select the already saved mailing address and away goes the order. Super handy during the holidays. Amazon is a handy place to find one of those stored addresses even if you are ordering from another site.

Amazon works for me in many ways.

I still would rather give local businesses the business. But traveling all over the place opposite directions, and coming up short leaves you frustrated. I am 7 miles from a small town, 12 to the edge of a larger town, but still rural, its a county seat, but has not grown in a direction I find useful. We have more small shops, than large retail. They just don't carry a lot of what I am looking for. But I try to give them business. I want them to thrive.

When I moved back to the Houston area I thought I would be able to buy everything I wanted locally. Maybe I could but the costs in the forms of risk, time and fuel make driving to retailers uneconomical.

I bought a lot of small items during the Prime sale, most of which had already been back burner items. Among them are 1/16” and 3/32” center cutting end mills and some bigger ones, a portable AM/FM/weather radio and a few other items, none of which were high dollar but I wanted/needed all of them. BTW, those small end mills can remove one’s rear end from a sling when things went badly. I always had 1/16” center cutting carbide end mills on hand when I was doing a lot of firearms work.

Back