Aluminum: Good Finish w/End Mills & Fly Cutters

Re: Aluminum: Good Finish w/End Mills & Fly Cutters

What would the bearing difference be? There is noise coming from the head on certain speeds, and I may have to take it apart to see what is going on. Forgive my ignorance, but when you say turn the vise 90 degrees so the vise side is pointing to the spindle, you mean, literally turn on the vise on its side? The vise would have to be held with an angle plate to do this, as the vise side is not flat. I don't see how that allows me any more milling options. Right now, I can mill top surfaces using the end of the end mill and use the side of the end mill to hit vertical surfaces. With the vise on its side, I still only have two surfaces I can mill, the same way as before. I know I must be missing something obvious, but do not see it.

I see what you mean about size of the vertical head vs the horizontal part. The little Y collets go up to 1/2 inch. The quill spindle is 2.185" in diameter. That is no Bridgeport, but bigger than I expected. But, the horizontal part does appear beefier. The shaft that holds cutters and such is 13" long, 1.5" at its fattest point, and weighs 4 lbs., 9 oz. I believe it uses a Brown and Sharpe #9 taper. The shaft is threaded and I did get with the mill. a modest length shaft that is threaded on both ends that fit the shaft. There is no question, the shaft, the casting it sits in, and the overarm support are all very massive vs the vertical head. Now I want to try out the horizontal function!

Phil

You have the handle pointing towards you. You can rotate it so the body of the vise is lined up with the table and the handle to the side. That way the side of the jaws is facing the horizontal spindle. It doesn't make that much difference in vertical but in horizontal, you can stick things out the side of the vise to mill. Once you get used to the horizontal spindle, it gives you a lot more options.

Even if the vertical spindle is light compared to the horizontal, it is still a lot beefier than something like a Sherline and people do fine work with them. Sharp tools, small cutters at high speeds and light cuts.

As far as the bearings, I wouldn't worry about them that much. It looks more like sharpening and tool rigidity more than spindle problems.

Regarding the type of bearings, drill bearings are designed for vertical forces only and mill bearings are designed for horizontal and vertical forces.

Last edited:
I have a Rotex also. No vertical head though. You will get very good finishes with a flycutter in the horizontal spindle and it will be a lot more solid too. Those machines have plenty of power and spindle speed to work well flycutting.

Wow, another Rotex owner! I am working now to get my horizontal going. I can see the increased rigidity going horizontal vs the relatively light vertical head. Do you have a pic or can you describe your horizontal fly-cutting setup? I may be missing a part or two of the shaft that drives the table. If yours works, would love to see that.

Thanks.

Phil

Back