Air Tool Grease Guns..which?

Just a helpful reminder when you grease them just one small pump on gun is enough or you will have grease flying everywhere trust me it's not pretty and it keeps coming out for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a type of zerk fitting but it's different than the ones commonly found on cars & trucks. I have a few of the ones below. I have one filled with Mobil SHC-32 grease & is what I use for my air tools (impacts, ratchets, & die grinders). They're all IR tools though.

The first one I bought from my Snap On dealer. My others I bought from HF but it looks like they don't sell them anymore, well at least not my local HF. Not on their website anymore either but other places sell it.

31M-gtcDhgL._SY300_.jpg

IR sells this:
4171RWMSWWL._SX300_.jpg

Can you post a pic? Pretty much all the air tools I have used (various brands) all had zerk fittings that my mini grease gun worked with.
The first image of the Snap On gun is YA4190, do you need the grease canister to use this one or can it be filled with your own grease?

31M-gtcDhgL._SY300_.jpg

4171RWMSWWL._SX300_.jpg

31M-gtcDhgL._SY300_.jpg

4171RWMSWWL._SX300_.jpg

31M-gtcDhgL._SY300_.jpg

4171RWMSWWL._SX300_.jpg

Just a helpful reminder when you grease them just one small pump on gun is enough or you will have grease flying everywhere trust me it's not pretty and it keeps coming out for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am an auto tech, and agree, nothing like greasing someone's windshield or fender not to mention your own cloths. Go easy on the grease!

Thank you. Do I need to buy the grease canister for the Snap On gun or can I just fill it with my own grease?

The grease "refill" from Snap-On simply screws onto the head in place of the metal canister. I got sick of buying them from Snap-On (too expensive) so I just purchased my own Grease to fill the canitser. Mobil SHC-32 is what comes in those Snap-On refills anyway.

You can fill the canister with your own grease. The way it works is there is just a loose flat disc inside the canister, no seal so you can't use fluids in it like oil. Pack it with grease, I like to tap the canister down on a table, a piece of wood, or your hand to help pack in the grease & get air pockets out. Screw it onto the head, then from the bottom of the canister there is a hole where you need to push the disc up (with a screw driver or hex key or whatever) while pumping to cycle out the air. Once you get a steady stream of grease flowing on repeated pumps your good. It works by a vacuum effect.

The canister is about 3 oz. I keep Super Lube grease in one of them which I use a lot. HF sells the Super Lube in 3 oz tube which makes it easy, just squeeze the hole tube into it.

Last edited:
The grease "refill" from Snap-On simply screws onto the head in place of the metal canister. I got sick of buying them from Snap-On (too expensive) so I just purchased my own Grease to fill the canitser. Mobil SHC-32 is what comes in those Snap-On refills anyway.

You can fill the canister with your own grease. The way it works is there is just a loose flat disc inside the canister, no seal so you can't use fluids in it like oil. Pack it with grease, I like to tap the canister down on a table, a piece of wood, or your hand to help pack in the grease & get air pockets out. Screw it onto the head, then from the bottom of the canister there is a hole where you need to push the disc up (with a screw driver or hex key or whatever) while pumping to cycle out the air. Once you get a steady stream of grease flowing on repeated pumps your good. It works by a vacuum effect.

The canister is about 3 oz. I keep Super Lube grease in one of them which I use a lot. HF sells the Super Lube in 3 oz tube which makes it easy, just squeeze the hole tube into it.

Thanks so much. You've been more helpful than Snap On customer support. I couldn't get a straight clear answer! They wrote back after 5 emails that someone will get back to me.?? Finally they told me that the YA4190 air ratchet grease guns work for the die grinders also. (1 week later). But it wasn't clear if I could pack my own grease, which I bought (UltraLube). Mobil SHC32 is too expensive.
So, I decided to buy the Snap On gun. It looks well made and it only costs a few dollars more with free shipping.

Thanks

:lmao:

No problem, glad I was able to help. Not to burst your bubble but the Snap-on one is from China tool, I got my SO one 15 yrs ago (not sure if it was the same back then). I wonder if there really is a US counterpart for these or anymore? Still a decent price you paid considering what they sell for. I just wish HF still sold them, I think they were $8 at HF.

EDIT: Well I guess there is, Dualco says their producst are made in the USA.

http://www.dualco-inc.com/products.push.html

Back