Adding a drum switch to a reversible motor.

machinistnoob

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. Hope this finds you all well. I've had this drum switch for a while and it's time to add it to the lathe for a project I'm working on. I'm confused on how to properly wire this set-up (for low voltage). The motor is reversible, so how do I connect? Please excuse my ignorance on the matter and Thanks in advance.
M. Noob.
1000004911.jpg1000004912.jpg1000004913.jpg1000004914.jpg1000004915.jpg

You have a thermal protection on motor this can be more complex to wire. Are you use 120 volts or 240 volts.

Dave

This subject has been covered here many many times! Try a search and you might find the answer right away.

You don't have the ideal drum switch type, but I'll draw a diagram that should work- back shortly
Pull off the black and red wires (5 & 8) and extend them either by splicing or with male lugs and wire as shown:
(Swap blk & red if necessary to match motor rotation w/switch handle) (ground wire not shown)
BRL1324a120v.jpeg

Last edited:
You probably have to use a different type of drum switch or remove the thermal protection.

You can find low cost drum switch the has at on and off and the other end reviving. But not content inside.

Almost all motors use number 5 and 8 for revising sometimes color.
The name plate said 5,8 wires.

The good news it Beldor motor one of best motors in world and have wire a lot of Beldor motor to a drum switch.

Dave

You don't have the ideal drum switch type, but I'll draw a diagram that should work- back shortly
Pull off the black and red wires (5 & 8) and extend them either by splicing or with male lugs and wire as shown:
(Swap blk & red if necessary to match motor rotation w/switch handle) (ground wire not shown)
View attachment 493465
Thank you very much and thanks for answering the same questions, multiple times. I did search and see that you a very helpful to many people. Would it be better to get a different switch?

You should be OK- let me know how it works. Some motors like Dayton don't shut off the start circuit properly and the motor overheats.
I checked the internal diagram of your Baldor and that won't happen here.

Last edited:
This subject has been covered here many many times! Try a search and you might find the answer right away.

Maybe there should be a devoted place to put all of the wiring schematics for drum switches. I know Mark dialed me in. Basic info drum switch model and motor model along with a few pictures and schematic.

Or is there already one.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back