Adapting MT tools to R8

Mrben144

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hello,
I picked up some small Wolhaupter boring heads that are MT1 and MT2 shanks. I would like to run them in my R8 spindle. Is there a specific adapter that has an integrated draw bar that will hold them in the sleeve or should I make a new drawbar for the mill to pull the entire assembly into the spindle via the MT threads?

Thanks for the help.

You can purchase R8 adapters for both the MT1 and MT2 sockets
They take up a little headspace, but they exist

Thanks for the replies.

Im having a hard time understanding how the MT shank is retained/pulled into the R8 sleeve. Is it not required?

Thanks for the replies.

Im having a hard time understanding how the MT shank is retained/pulled into the R8 sleeve. Is it not required?
Heres an adaptor I mentioned I got at Grizzly. There is no brand but it is of very nice quality. I use it for m3 drill bits. Works very well.6FBFA961-2B00-428B-907A-65212121AEA2.jpegBA7E64C8-F3B0-41DF-AEAC-A5494F802B74.jpeg

Thanks for the replies.

Are your Wolhaupter Morse taper shanks drilled and tapped for a drawbar?

OT question, are the MT taper shanks integral or removable?

I have an R8/MT2 adapter and a 3/4”/MT1 adapter (couldn’t find R8 when I was looking several years ago):

IMG_8386_Radiant_Photo.jpeg
I rely on the tang & taper for the MT2 and use the brass rod to break the taper free.

I “assembled” a draw bar for the MT1 arbor, which is then mounted in a 3/4” R8 collet.

Back