A quick survey, just for fun...

How long have you been doing this?

What machine in your shop do you use most?

What machine in your shop could you not live without? In other words, if you could have only one machine, what would it be?

Knowing what you know now, if you had to start over again, what would you buy first, second and third? Assume you need to wait a year between each purchase.

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you when you were first starting out, or that they did tell you that you wished you had listened to?
How long have I been doing this? I started in the late 1960's in high school shop class. Got my first job in a shop in 1972 after attending the Army Machinist School at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Started my apprenticeship in Tool and Die Making in 1973....so, it's been a while.

What machine do I use the most? Drill press! Yes it sound stupid, but that is it. I suffered with a drill press that was not up to the task for way to many decades....buy a good drill press! Followed by a well equipped lathe then a mill. I was lucky enough to buy my first lathe, a very well equipped 9" South Bend tool room lathe from a friend of my father in 1972..still have it.

Only one machine? Lathe, you can do anything on a well equipped lathe.

Knowing what I know now....Probably just as I did it. Drill press, Lathe (1st. drill press came with the lathe), mill.
The thing that really gits you is all the support equipment.

I can't think of anything that I wish that someone had told me. I do remember the most important thing that my Dad told me was to always have some fear of your machines, if you loose that, your going to get hurt!

How long have you been doing this? 4 years.

What machine in your shop do you use most? Pretty close to a tossup between MIll and Lathe

What machine in your shop could you not live without? Mill and Lathe
In other words, if you could have only one machine, what would it be? Mill and Lathe

Knowing what you know now, if you had to start over again, what would you buy first, second and third? I bought all 5 machines at one go.
Assume you need to wait a year between each purchase. I don't have a budget problem like that.

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you when you were first starting out, or that they did tell you that you wished you had listened to?
Budget for welding equiptment, too.

1)How long have you been doing this?
2)What machine in your shop do you use most?
3)What machine in your shop could you not live without? In other words, if you could have only one machine, what would it be?
4)Knowing what you know now, if you had to start over again, what would you buy first, second and third? Assume you need to wait a year between each purchase.
5)What is the one thing you wish someone had told you when you were first starting out, or that they did tell you that you wished you had listened to?
Up front, I am not into machining as a "stand-alone" hobby. I am a model builder (1:87 trains) and have found machine tools to be an assist in my model building. As time goes on, and other matters come up, the machines were an assist there also. The end result is that my answers will be severly biased. Other matters, such as "updating" a dwelling and building a barn are more important than my hobby. But my hobbies support those other needs as well.

To that end, I have only bought one machine new. (A 9X19 lathe) All other machines were acquired as/when they came available to me. By that, I mean time, money, and space as well as availability. There was a time I was aboard a ship. I had a UniMat built into a metal box and simply could not have a larger shop. The UniMat could be set up as a drill press and vertical mill as needed.

1) My first machine was acquired in 1969. That's what, 50 odd years. A UniMat while still on active duty. The first machine that I acquired after coming home was a "buzz box" welder. That's what was needed at the time.
2) Lathe. Several since '69 as money, time, space, and need demanded. I never let go of what I had until I had a better machine. Sometimes, as now, several iterations of the same machines. Hand and portable tools were not included in survey.
3) Lathe, again. Most often used is a drill press. With proper set-up, a lathe can be used as a drill press.
4) a] Lathe b] vertical mill(can also be drill press) c] horizontal mill
5) To be less concerned with doing everything myself. To accept a lower standard of work than I personally put into everything I get involved with. And to quote NC Rick, "I never listen enough. I'm ok with the way it went and is going. I am predisposed to learning the hard way." As am I.

The machining bit, about 5 years, but I've been into tools as far back as I can remember. Metal work beyond soldering was pretty much outside of my capabilities and knowledge base. I had shop classes in school, but they also skewed heavily towards wood working. What metalworking experience I had came from one year of high school metal shop so it revolved around full size machines, that were way beyond my space and budget, so I didn't pursue it. I didn't even know small bench top metal working machines were a thing until maybe 10 years ago or I would have probably started down this rabbit hole 20 years ago. Probably a good thing I didn't because I had 6 major moves between 1998 and 2012. Moving portable wood working tools was hard enough.

For the rest a lot of these questions are kind of like what would you have done differently if you knew at 18 what you know now. Fine and all that, but doing things differently might have changed the answers. Also so much of what I have done is shaped by the internet, without the ability to quickly search and find information, look at vendor websites, sites like this one, having access to tools like Craigslist and Ebay. If I started 20 years ago, I have no idea how I would have started. I would not have had any of the resources I used, or even had the exposure that created the interest. It was finding modeling websites in the early 2000s that even got me away from just gluing the parts together that came in the box. Scratch building my own stuff from plastic, aluminum, brass, and wood is what sparked the interest in a lathe in the first place. Having the lathe, sparked the interest in machining as a hobby rather than just the means to an end. It is also only recently that I actually had the time and money to really get into this as deep as I have.

In fact I think it would be interesting to see how many hobby machinists who have been doing this more than about 15 years (so 2005 or about the time the internet had really matured), didn't already have a strong connection to machining through work or friends / family. I know model engineering has been around a long time, but I suspect it has grown much in recent years simply through increased visibility.

Sorry started to ramble on a bit there. ;)

The welder has actually become my gotta have it tool. I use the machine tools to make gizmos and to support the machines, the welder actually makes stuff I need although a lot of this also comes back to supporting the machining side of things with stands, shelves, carts. If there is one tool in the shop that I wish I had earlier it is a MIG welder, even if I had just bought a cheap 120v welder.

After that it is a horizontal bandsaw, or power hacksaw which is an essential tool for prepping material. Using a hand powered hacksaw is for the birds on anything over about 1/2" or for making lots of repeat cuts.

Of the machine tools proper, it would be my Sherline lathe.

What machine in your shop could you not live without? In other words, if you could have only one machine, what would it be?
Based on the last answer, probably no surprise, the welder.

Of the machine tools, It is a bit of a cheat but it would be the Sherline lathe with the milling attachment. The design of their milling attachment really makes it into a 3 in 1 type machine. Not as handy as separate machines, but if I'm only allowed 1, I could get by with that.

Knowing what you know now, if you had to start over again, what would you buy first, second and third? Assume you need to wait a year between each purchase.

I'm going to look at this from 2 perspectives.

Going back in time? Welder, bandsaw, lathe (I already had a lot of the other supporting tools like a drill press). The second part of this is I couldn't have done things much differently than I did due to time, space and budget restrictions that I had. I'm in a very different place than I was even 10 years ago.

Now if I were starting over today completely from scratch? I might make a few different choices of actual machine chosen, like I would definitely get a bigger drill press (already on my low priority BOLO), and I would probably get a mitering bandsaw vs the traditional horizontal but I think I'm going to stick with the same order.
The differences in machines is not dissatisfaction with what I have so much as simply buying in a planned way I could do things differently, more efficiently and there is always some room for improvement. Since most of my machines are "old" it would also be very impractical to sit around waiting to find the same exact machine. If I were going to buy it all at once I might go with new, but with the stipulation of a year in between purchases I'd probably stick with the vintage theme that I have now. Since the welder is first on my list, and is something I would by new that gives me plenty of time to look for vintage options on the rest.

I'm very analytical and calculating. I'm also very careful about making large purchases (which to me is anything over $100). I did 2 years of research before buying the Sherline, and it has done everything I expected it to do. The only thing I really didn't prepare for was the trip down the rabbit hole. I was buying a tool for a specific purpose not looking for a new hobby. Luckily by the time I was really headed down the hole, I had a good group of enablers who helped steer me towards some good machines.

The only thing I can really think of where I could have done better, was getting the bandsaw sooner. I spent time and money on work arounds, because I didn't think I could make the bandsaw work in the space I have (yeah, no room for a bandsaw the size of a saw horse but somehow I have found room for 5 lathes, 3 mills, 3 bandsaws and a shaper :oops: ). Oddly it was the need to sharpen lathe tooling that provided the space for the bandsaw. I had to find a spot for the bench grinder, and committing to an outdoor workbench for the grinder led to room for the bandsaw.

Really I think the biggest thing I've learned here is how to filter advice because information overload is a thing. There is a ton of good advice offered, the tricky part is figuring out which of it applies to your specific situation. I learn something new almost everyday from how to do something to discovering a new machine that I didn't even know existed.

1. Learned how in graduate school, about 1972 or thereabouts. Frequently used machine tools while a design engineer at Hewlett-Packard (retired in 2005). Started buying my own machine tools in about 2008.
2. Most frequently used - Scotchbrite wheel! Just about every part gets the edges deburred every time I finish cutting a face, then a final "pretty-up."
3. Tough one - they all "feed" each other and "depend" on each other. Right now, I kinda favor the mill.
4. In general, I'm happy with the sequence I followed - $$ was a big factor, and I bought what I could when a) I needed it and b) when I could afford it. If I had to start over NOW, I'd probably start with a mill, H-V bandsaw, and drill press.
5. I'd like to have (and still plan to, eventually) take a few machining courses at Mesa Community College. One specific skill it took a while to "get" was parting on the lathe. I've received uncountable chunks of good advice over the years,

Last edited:
  • About 15 months
  • Lathe
  • Lathe
  • I bought my lathe first and would still make that my first purchase
  • I was warned about the "rabbit hole" and I'm a living witness to it being a deep hole but a scenic journey :)

How long have you been doing this? For "serious" metalworking about 15 years. For garage type stuff, about 50 years. Maybe 60, counting from 7th grade.

What machine in your shop do you use most? Probably the shop vac, but roughly equal between Takisawa lathe and Bridgeport.

What machine in your shop could you not live without? In other words, if you could have only one machine, what would it be? I could live without the Takisawa, but I would not.

Knowing what you know now, if you had to start over again, what would you buy first, second and third? Assume you need to wait a year between each purchase. I would sell the car and buy everything now. Maybe I could put off the Geometric die head and chasers a bit. :)

What is the one thing you wish someone had told you when you were first starting out, or that they did tell you that you wished you had listened to? That "If you don't know what it is, you don't need it".

Got my first job in a shop in 1972 after attending the Army Machinist School at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. Started my apprenticeship in Tool and Die Making in 1973....so, it's been a while.

APG ? Cool , right up the road from me . Where did you do your apprenticeship if I may ask ?

Started in my grandfather’s machine shop at about 7-8 yrs old, I’m now turning 66. So let’s call it 55+ yrs.

mill-lathe
mill - lathe
mill-lathe

I had noticed how content my grandfather was, instead of college, maybe I should have taken over the business, alas, it’s too late to have regrets now....

Last edited:
1- Since 1971 in 7th grade . Completed 5 year machinist / tool and die apprenticeship in 1981 . Have never been un-employed for a single day .
2- I use my Bridgeport more often than the lathes . I made fixtures quite often to make things to sell .
3- I could live without all of them as I work in a manufacturing plant and have access to all equipment .
4- I bought my first equipment at the same time . A Voest 15" lathe and my first Bridgeport , compressor , h bandsaw , blast cabinet etc . It was fun back then to expand . I'll break the mold and say mill first .
5- I wish I would've listened to an interviewer years and years back to go back and get my 4 years in college . I needed the paper to go along with the knowledge and previous experience . I did 2 years of MTT at Cate State and was done . Couldn't handle working all day , going to apprenticeship school , then driving an hour to the college for extra classes .

Back