A better way to grease gears?

To be honest, I would rather use a grease gun with a fine tip over a syringe. At least you could swap the tip to then hit zerks with.

To be honest, I would rather use a grease gun with a fine tip over a syringe. At least you could swap the tip to then hit zerks with.

Put a 1/8 npt zerk in the fine tip (or any other "special" grease tip) and the swpping thing all but goes away.

So I just changed the oil in my headstock and was greasing the gears and thought "there has got to be a better way!". I've been using the digital method, which is to say that I get some grease on one of my digits and apply it to the gear teeth. This is messy, not just in operation, but in the grease that gets slung off in operation. (Inevitably some teeth get huge amounts of grease which is wasted as opposed to distributed as you might hope in an alternate universe.) So I thought I'd ask and see if any of you clever people has found a better way?

TIA,
GsT

Acid brushes work fine for this. How thick is the grease? 1 and less, a 1 inch paint brush (perhaps smaller) works fine if you trim the bristles down to 3/4 of an inch or so. Tooth brushes work great. An inveted cone fitting coupler or adapter, or a "grease injector" hypodermic needle grease gun tip or adapter on your grease gun will make a narrow bead around the gear that'll spread it's self nicely.

Back