A better way to grease gears?

GeneT45

Registered
Registered
So I just changed the oil in my headstock and was greasing the gears and thought "there has got to be a better way!". I've been using the digital method, which is to say that I get some grease on one of my digits and apply it to the gear teeth. This is messy, not just in operation, but in the grease that gets slung off in operation. (Inevitably some teeth get huge amounts of grease which is wasted as opposed to distributed as you might hope in an alternate universe.) So I thought I'd ask and see if any of you clever people has found a better way?

TIA,
GsT

1" paintbrush. so much easier, far less mess.

Same method used when rebuilding Sturmey Archer internal hub gear inserts, only that is done with a smaller brush.

We mounted these on open gearboxes and ran a tube to a convenient place to lubricate the gears at the wastewater plant I worked at.

We also had some hooked up to automatic lubricators that injected small amounts of grease at regular intervals, but that is overkill for a hobby shop

I use a trimmed-down acid brush for my change gears which kinda works but not great. Still somewhat erratic in placement. For sewing machines though (there are some rare occasions where grease is used) I fill a small syringe and use that. It places a very controllable bead right down the middle of the teeth so application is very even.

The ones I’m using for that are the curved ones you see sold as either glue syringes or dental irrigation syringes. They hold maybe 10cc I think? You can get bigger way irrigation syringes though. So far I’ve not run into any compatibility problems between the grease and the plunger so far but obviously that would depend on the type of grease you’re using.

I used to apply grease with a traditional brush but recently switched to a poly foam one. More even application and no bristles to trebuchet those miniscule grease boogers.

Back