50 ton press

It is if it forms triangles. Your pattern doesn't. Not trying to be argumentative, just saying. Your work on it is very nice. I wish I had a 50 ton.
v004.jpg
interlocking overlapping V's. I could have brought both little legs down but the channel was strong enough and the webbing added only for insurance. this design was completly tested and designed so that the pins were the weak point and would show shear signs and fail before anything else. after assembly it was tested to over 160,000# with no signes of damage.

someone else posted while i was trying to up load my rough sketch.

v004.jpg

Yes it is, IF it forms complete triangles. You can't have a dogleg in a triangle and expect it to form the structural integrity a true triangle creates.
View attachment 47257
This isn't a triangle. If you used it as a structural element in something like a dragster frame it would collapse.

I will make sure not to drag race this:whiteflag:

when designed the plan was drawn up in turbocad and sent to another eng i went to school with who still has access to FEA. He said the bracing was overkill but i liked it. I never had him run it with the little legs inserted but in my experience it would have made very little change. It was tested after construction with 50 and 30 ton rams and calibrated liguid filled gauges. it was taken to pressure several times and then left at pressure for 30 min. sorry but no i didn't x ray it for a proper post stress inspection.the weak point , the pins showed no signs of deformation.

Joshua

That is an awesome build on your 50 Ton Press.

I picked up a 50 Ton Princess Auto press a few years back and it is not built anywhere near as well as yours. It will flex under load.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...iven-in-to-Temptation-the-Tool-Addicts-Prayer
I would be interested in seeing your build on the brake. I am gathering the materials to build one similar to this one made by Iroquios Iron Works.

Walter

IMG_2337_50Ton Press.jpg 24_in_.jpg

Sorry, didn't mean to belabor the whole thing. It does look awesome. And like you said before, the bracing probably isn't even necessary. I believe normal I-beam bracing practice is to just use vertical bracing since the failure mechanism is buckling of the vertical plate. If I didn't mention it before, nice welds! Is that your trade? I'm envious of your skill.

Not a problem, it was the middle of the night and i was sick and couldn't sleep so my response may have been a little too sarcastic. 16 years in the military made me very sarcastic.

I did call my buddy at lunch to ask him if he still had the tests and drawings but he purges his drawings after 3 years and it's been about 5. In his standard doctorate way he said we are all retards and should stick to things we know. He stated as you did that the webbing was to suppurt the web of the beam to make it act thicker not support the flange and could have been done simpler by just bridge plating the web(welding plate to both sides of the web). As stated I picked this for looks. He finished our conversation by saying I should stick to putting my thingy in light sockets. I informed him without Electricty he wouldn't build anything.:lmao:

Back