50 ton press

JOSHUAZ2

Active User
Registered
Here is a press i saved up scraps of steel for. took years and is still an ongoing project but it functions fine. I am in the process of building a brake for it have all the pieces just have to get the time and good days for it.

insurance043.jpg
insurance047.jpg
insurance047.jpg
insurance049.jpg
003-1.jpg
002-2.jpg

i made it so that the end leg could be moved in so that the end could be used as a C press. after using it for a while i just leave it in. i have a 20 ton ram that i use on the "C"
004-2.jpg
002-3.jpg
003-3.jpg
P1150033_zpsf11f36e9.jpg

insurance043.jpg

insurance047.jpg

insurance047.jpg

insurance047.jpg

insurance049.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

P1150033_zpsf11f36e9.jpg

Now THAT is an awesome project. Great job on the webbing btw!

A couple questions;

What kind of brake is that? It resembles a finger brake more than a press brake....

What is a C-Press for? Is it for really large stuff that won't otherwise fit between the uprights?

You would never buy a press of that quality----- darn nice job of welding.
thanks for sharing---we loves pics

Now THAT is an awesome project. Great job on the webbing btw!

A couple questions;

What kind of brake is that? It resembles a finger brake more than a press brake....

the picture I believe you are refering to are the threaded blocks that are welded on the the top support and the legs bolt to them.

What is a C-Press for? Is it for really large stuff that won't otherwise fit between the uprights?

exactly. things that can't or are to hard to get in between the uprights

heh, just looked at a 12Ton press in a local ad. this one makes it look like a toy - NICE!

What are all these rectangular clamps with 2 tapped holes in them for?

I noticed all the slugs from the holes you cut had drill holes down the side of the slug. I assume that's to allow the swarf from the hole saw to escape? I'm going to have to try that, I'll bet it really improves the ability of the hole saw to cut deep holes.

heh, just looked at a 12Ton press in a local ad. this one makes it look like a toy - NICE!

What are all these rectangular clamps with 2 tapped holes in them for?

I tried to answer that in my other post but it got buried in the quote. the blocks were welded to the top beam to attach the legs.

Why did you do the webbing in that pattern? Seems to me triangulation would be stronger. Of course I'm not a steelworker, so maybe it wouldn't be. Just curious.

X bracing is a form of triangulation.

I noticed all the slugs from the holes you cut had drill holes down the side of the slug. I assume that's to allow the swarf from the hole saw to escape? I'm going to have to try that, I'll bet it really improves the ability of the hole saw to cut deep holes.

Yes that is a trick i meant to mention. the holes allow the chips to ascape and not plug up the cut. it keeps the saw from dulling so quickly. I sawed over 70 holes thru 1" plate with the same hole saw and it is still sharp. I usually touch off the saw on the plate and then drill 2 holes in the edge so that you cant see them in the outside edge.

Actually, Mopar, it depends on how you look at the pattern. I see 6 triangles in his weld pattern. 3 up and 3 down or maybe they might be called V's if you don't use the flanges as part of the triangle. Oh well, still one heck of a press build. I'm in envy Joshuaz2.

Patrick

Back