3d printing sand casting patterns

DeltaCharlie

Registered
Registered
Hi all, been busy learning how to make 3d patterns for metal sand casting. Just now getting to the point where I can design the part using FreeCAD and get it to slice using Cura without errors. Still having trouble getting all the draft set on complex shapes but I will keep working on it.

So far I made a small 3 inch flywheel for a model steam engine I want to build. It was a fun project and I learned a ton.

Anybody else messing around with making patterns?

Thanks, Dale

I enjoy making patterns of WOOD, of all things! Don't need a computer or 3 D printer either---
The idea of making the patterns out of wood did cross my mind but I wanted the challenge of trying to learn the computer CAD software and 3d printing. I also like mixing old and new technology.

Perhaps I should mix 3d printing with wood - wood PLA is available and it seems like it might make for a very good filament as it can be sanded and sealed like wood.

Aluminum casting on the lathe. A bit surprised how little it took to clean up the rough surface. Will be working on improving my sand ramming to get a better casting but what the heck it's looking like a usable part.

Attachments

• 3InchFlyOnLathe.jpg
    3InchFlyOnLathe.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 22
A little OT,
Some folks use the 3d printed part as a loss plastic piece and pour the molten metal directly into the cask through sprue holes without removing the plastic.
I have also heard of centrifugal wax casting too, where the wax is displaced by the molten metal in a centrifuge .
Both processes seem very interesting

A little OT,
Some folks use the 3d printed part as a loss plastic piece and pour the molten metal directly into the cask through sprue holes without removing the plastic.
I have also heard of centrifugal wax casting too, where the wax is displaced by the molten metal in a centrifuge .
Both processes seem very interesting
I find all metal casting to be very interesting. Decided to try green sand casting as it's one of the oldest and does not cost too much to get started.

I've played around a bit with printed patterns. Generally they can be a bit sensitive to getting squished together if you're packing sand, otherwise they're great at allowing high complexity with little effort.
I tend to plaster and paint them and use some wax to make them slippery.
IMG_6954.JPEG

Not very good job at gating/spruing but it worked.
IMG_7412.JPEG

And after some cleanup.
IMG_7425.JPEG

Back