Status
Not open for further replies.
And I used to think that all the jokes about losing a 10mm socket weren't true, but if Horrible Freight makes a set of only 10mm's it must not be a joke.

View attachment 419462
Funny... I was at Bonneville Salt Flats a few years back and eBay had a stand there. They were giving away 10mm socket sets, lol. Of course I grabbed one...and a shirt, and a screwdriver... and... lol

eBay10mm.jpg

that's as bad as trying to fix something.. come to find out.. that lil nut is 8mm.. but your metric set didn't come with a 8mm wrench or socket..
I was a a pick and pull yard this last weekend and was pulling some disk brakes off a ford explorer rear for the 9" that I'm putting in the 55 and the spider gear cross pin lock bolt was 8mm. I don't remember doing it, but I threw a 8mm wrench in my tool box. That saved my day. Without it I'd have had to go and try to find a 8mm, and with it not included in sets I'd have been hosed.

I was a a pick and pull yard this last weekend and was pulling some disk brakes off a ford explorer rear for the 9" that I'm putting in the 55 and the spider gear cross pin lock bolt was 8mm. I don't remember doing it, but I threw a 8mm wrench in my tool box. That saved my day. Without it I'd have had to go and try to find a 8mm, and with it not included in sets I'd have been hosed.
yeah.. that's makes for a dull day..

8mm is within .003" of a 5/16" socket. Most metric sizes have an inch socket which will work in a pinch. 10mm is an exception. The 3/8" socket is a half mm too small and the 7/16" socket is more than a mm too large. My 1/4" metric drive socket set is fitted with every mm size from 3mm to 13mm and a 5.5mm to boot.

8mm is within .003" of a 5/16" socket. Most metric sizes have an inch socket which will work in a pinch. 10mm is an exception. The 3/8" socket is a half mm too small and the 7/16" socket is more than a mm too large. My 1/4" metric drive socket set is fitted with every mm size from 3mm to 13mm and a 5.5mm to boot.
The lock pin/bolt on the carrier is very very tight. I had to put a little cheater bar on the end of the wrench to break it loose, so the .003 might have been too lose. A few years ago I was working on getting brakes for the nova off another explorer and I rounded the bolt head off. Had to go find another explorer to pull the brakes off of. Thankfuly there are a LOT of "exploders" in the junk yard. The tacoma yard had 9 of them to choose from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back