12" PSA sanding disks

yep, there are a lot of idiots out there. I've read reviews that were bad because (not related to this) of people who ordered the wrong size, but was hoping it would fit, it didn't and therefore they gave a bad review... You have to be wondering WTF, if you knew it wouldn't fit going in, why did you order it, and why did you give it a bad review for your mistake or misunderstanding.
I just read a bad review about a Dewalt circular saw. The reviewer had gotten it as a gift but had never even taken it out of the box.

His major complaint was that it didn’t come with a rip fence. It was a $6.00 accessory he thought should have been provided as part of the purchase.

I have had the same saw for several years and much prefer it over my older Black & Decker

yep, lots of idiots out there. There are some valid points that the good reviewers make. But when I see some jerk being a jerk... well. I wonder how they'll survive life.

The sanding discs sold by Shop Smith were high quality , I’m not sure if they are still good quality, but still worthy of investigating

eBay is your friend. New, old stock. My dad gave me this 12" film canister full, and I have come to understand it as a lifetime supply. I use my disc sander as a metal tool almost exclusively, using it for squaring and deburring plasma cut parts and abusing it with impunity. Under the heaviest use, I get 6 months from a disc, including accounts for accidental gouges like the one pictured that will send a disc to the trash early. It's rare, and only happens if I get butter fingers... The adhesive is long since dried up, so I glue them on with contact cement spray. The canvas-backed brutes work hard. I am glad I haven't had to resort to china junk, but I probably won't have to. I'd drop the coin at McMaster in a heartbeat if I ever run out.PXL_20241012_200907539.jpgPXL_20241012_201142056.jpgPXL_20241012_200947149.jpgPXL_20241012_201026394.jpgPXL_20241012_200743481.jpg

eBay is your friend. New, old stock. My dad gave me this 12" film canister full, and I have come to understand it as a lifetime supply. I use my disc sander as a metal tool almost exclusively, using it for squaring and deburring plasma cut parts and abusing it with impunity. Under the heaviest use, I get 6 months from a disc, including accounts for accidental gouges like the one pictured that will send a disc to the trash early. It's rare, and only happens if I get butter fingers... The adhesive is long since dried up, so I glue them on with contact cement spray. The canvas-backed brutes work hard. I am glad I haven't had to resort to china junk, but I probably won't have to. I'd drop the coin at McMaster in a heartbeat if I ever run out.
NOS disks may have a somewhat indefinite lifetime but the 6” x 48” belts have a shelf life of around 2 years. After that amount of time the tape on the splices tends to deteriorate. They split at the seams and are all but impossible to reconstruct

There have been several discussions on another “ professional” board. Some have had minor success while others ended in abject failure. It’s one of the few items I don’t stock up on. I usually have only a couple spare belts on hand. If I need more it only takes 1 day to get them from McMaster

Are all these disks created equal anymore? It use to seem they were tough and would last. Lately any disks I use seem to go to crap in short order...like one use. McMaster has disks but my heck they are EXPENSIVE.
What are you using...
They are definitely NOT all created equal! I am very happy with everything I have purchased from "Red Label Abrasives".
They have a variety of different abrasive materials and a good description of which material works best for which job. I use their 12" discs and 4 x 51.5" belts. They are more expensive per piece but much cheaper when you consider how long they last.

Order summary​

4 X 52 1/2 Inch Aluminum Oxide Sanding Belts, 3 Pack × 1
36 Grit
$21.89​
4 X 52 1/2 Inch Aluminum Oxide Sanding Belts, 3 Pack × 1
220 Grit
$17.79​
4 X 52 1/2 Inch Aluminum Oxide Sanding Belts, 3 Pack × 3
60 Grit
15% OFF ON THIS PRODUCT (-$9.31)
$62.07
$52.76​
Subtotal
$92.44
Shipping
$0.00
Total
$92.44 USD
You saved $9.31​

These Aluminum Oxide belts have worked great for me. I mainly use them for prepping metal for welding then smoothing out welds. I am still on my first belt in each grit after a couple of years.

I will also recommend the Zircon abrasive for 12" discs. (I haven't tried the zircon belts... and don't see a need to with how well the Aluminum Oxide belts are working for me).

The adhesive they use to hold the abrasive on the belts/discs is what seems to make their products so superior. The abrasive just doesn't wear off as fast as cheap cheap belts/discs do. I find these better than my Norton and 3M discs.

Last edited:
Back