12" PSA sanding disks

plongson

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Are all these disks created equal anymore? It use to seem they were tough and would last. Lately any disks I use seem to go to crap in short order...like one use. McMaster has disks but my heck they are EXPENSIVE.
What are you using...

Abrasives are like anything else, you get what you pay for. And yes, they are expensive. I stick to the name brands, 3M and Norton. I think that it is a toss up, use more cheap discs, or less of the expensive ones.

Although, I am currently testing the quality from Empire. So far so good.

I have been using Klingspor , but Dabbler recommended Red label, and I may try it when I need a new order. My Klingspor's have been great, I am very happy with them. They stand up to the task and time.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/ You can easily get Klingspor here.. Don't worry about the name, it's more than woodworking, but this location is mostly woodworking.

Too many variables to talk about durability with the little info you provided.

What workpiece material are you talking about?
What grade grit have you been using?
What grit material have you been using?
What is you intended purpose? Rough shaping? Fine finishing?

I was buying 12” disks from the local farm store for years. About 5 years ago I started having the same problems. Disks wouldn’t last more than few days. I switched to the ones McMaster was selling and the problems went away

The first order was a total of 12 disks in 3 different grits. I still have 9 left and the one on the machine is still going strong. If you search “12” sanding disk” you’ll find they have 32 different offerings as far as grit size and material are concerned. There’s also a short primer on what application they’re best suited for.

Too many variables to talk about durability with the little info you provided.

What workpiece material are you talking about?
What grade grit have you been using?
What grit material have you been using?
What is you intended purpose? Rough shaping? Fine finishing?
Well, aside from "variables" you mentioned, just think "all of the above"...lol Everything we do on a 12" disk sander with assorted grits and purpose have dismal results with my disks. Granted, I'm not in the business of disk sanding and my supply has come from local hardware/farm store and Harbor Fright and elsewhere. Ya, I'm always looking for "deals" when I purchase PSA disks, but the budget brands I've used are junk.
The bigger question is, Are high dollar disks worth the high dollar...

I second the nomination of Red Label. Specifically the green zirconia abrasive. That's all I buy. Best bang for the buck.

Not cheap...McMaster is actually significantly cheaper for zirconia.

Last edited:
Well, aside from "variables" you mentioned, just think "all of the above"...lol Everything we do on a 12" disk sander with assorted grits and purpose have dismal results with my disks. Granted, I'm not in the business of disk sanding and my supply has come from local hardware/farm store and Harbor Fright and elsewhere. Ya, I'm always looking for "deals" when I purchase PSA disks, but the budget brands I've used are junk.
The bigger question is, Are high dollar disks worth the high dollar...
Yes.
Same with angle grinders, the better disks do better. Same with stones . I have a 9" disk on my 6x48... The belts make a big difference, I buy better belts to, they run quieter, hog more off.

Give them a try. Red Label or Klingspor are my recommendations. I have not tried Red Label, but from responses here they should be good.

I just read a bad review of Red Label. The guy was complaining that the adhesive backed discs would not stay in place on his sander that uses hook and loop....Too funny!

I just read a bad review of Red Label. The guy was complaining that the adhesive backed discs would not stay in place on his sander that uses hook and loop....Too funny!
yep, there are a lot of idiots out there. I've read reviews that were bad because (not related to this) of people who ordered the wrong size, but was hoping it would fit, it didn't and therefore they gave a bad review... You have to be wondering WTF, if you knew it wouldn't fit going in, why did you order it, and why did you give it a bad review for your mistake or misunderstanding.

Back