0.5mm tap External threading - carburator needles

FliesLikeABrick

Wastestream salvage addict
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Ever used a tap as an external threading tool?

I am helping someone out with a project that involves a carburator from a very specific name-brand generator from the 60s, which was never sold commercially and the carburator (or replacement parts) is impossible to find.

The issue this person is running into is that the carburator is missing the mixture adjustment screw, it just wasn't in the carburator when it came into their possession. Looking through bins of spare carbs and parts, they found one needle that threads in, but the threads bottom out before the needle reaches far enough in to impact the mixture.

They provided me with that needle, with the goal of duplicating it but extending the primary taper of the needle by 1/4" or so.

IMG_20240809_093401238_HDR.jpg
Here it is under magnification, as I was trying to figure out what the thread pitch was. None of my thread gauge leafs settled in fully, 0.5mm was closest (it turned out the very tip of that leaf was dinged, but I wanted a second means of verifying the pitch)
IMG_20240809_093234391.jpg

I counted 8 threads over 5/32" - which is near spot-on for 0.5mm pitch

These magnified pictures were taken by zooming in on my phone, which was aimed through a magnifying visor

IMG_20240809_093346474.jpg

A few challenges to this part to solve for/test:
- Measuring or setting up for the taper
- Material and tool choice to cut such a fine taper without deflection causing issues
- Cutting this metric thread when my lathes are both inch machines and I don't believe I have a transposing gear for either currently
- The major diameter of the threaded section is nominally 5mm (slightly undersized); 5mmx0.5 is not a standard pitch I would have a die for without ordering one, and even then I may not get close enough to the shoulder on the part. That might be solvable by making the part longer, but that could pose challenges with installation and usage on the compact machine.

To set up for the taper, I made a small set screw collar to hold the part, with a wad of paper under the set screw so that it could bear on the threads without damaging them.
1723643436510.png

Put that in the collet chuck, and indicated the top slide in to the taper which turned out to be nominally 5 degrees.

I decided to make the new needles out of bronze rod which I have on hand from another project, and used a very sharp HSS tool to test a taper, went fine
IMG_20240809_200858106.jpg

For the threads... any solution at the lathe would hinge on being able to get a 0.5mm feed rate. I ended up finding a gearbox configuration that was 0.019"/rev, whereas 0.5mm is more like 0.0196"/rev. That's a 3% error which is quite large, and realistically I am not thrilled to single-point thread such a small thread form.

What about something that might compensate for the timing error (at least for 5-10 threads), and let me thread this at the lathe without having to buy or grind a super-clean tiny threading tool?

Like holding a tap in the tool holder, and using it as a form tool to thread the OD of the part?

I have this oddball M8 x 0.5mm ultra fine-thread tap that has been in my drawer of assorted taps for a few years. So it's the right pitch, and the diameter is relatively huge - benefits to make it rigid and make it easier to see to clock it in the toolholder
1723643864161.png

I clocked it with one of the flutes basically horizontal, just eyeballing where it should have the right rake and clearance.
tap-in-holder.jpg

Here's a test:
1723643715510.png

This was on an arbitrary diameter I cleaned up on a piece of stock - it worked fine, just needed to get better at deciding my DOC per pass and what depth would result in fully-crested threads. The first result wasn't fully formed but progress:
IMG_20240809_145020466.jpg

With those issues solved, onto the first real part (first of two, with different needle lengths to test).

Taper turned, nothing special there - just a very sharp 1/4" HSS tool, and turned the threaded section to 4.8mm. I found in my testing that the tap process would expand the diameter slightly, I think maybe I had it mis-clocked and it was forming the threads instead of just cutting them. If this was for something that needed thread strength, I'd have gone back and adjusted it since any "flowed" material was probably weakened.

I was originally worried that due to the 3% error accumulating, the threads near the end of the part would start getting eroded by the tap as it fed further in, but this does not appear to be the case. Perhaps if the tap was flowing material, it was compensating for any cutting that was occurring. Or, the .0006/rev effective feed rate was so small that even the super-sharp tap couldn't take a cut and was just rubbing the oncoming face, leading to the appearance of flowing.

IMG_20240810_145231699_HDR.jpg

After that, knurled and parted off.
IMG_20240810_141604729-EDIT.jpg

Extremely happy with the results, made a second one. The second one only took 30-45 minutes now that the process was all ironed out
IMG_20240811_111346415-EDIT.jpg

IMG_20240811_111352185-EDIT.jpg

Full, clean threadform. All of the "is this fully formed" ended up being done by eye, I don't have thread measuring wires nearly small enough for this

IMG_20240811_111755927.jpg

IMG_20240811_111558832.jpg

If I need to make more, I'll do some more tests by clocking the tap differently (in the view shown above, I'd go slightly counterclockwise so that it has slightly more rake and clearance to reduce the chances that it is flowing material)

I would also use a M3x0.5mm tap to cut internal threads on an M5 hole in a test fixture/gauge, cutting until the original needle threads in. Then I could use that as a go/no-go gauge to test the new parts. If the needles I made so far have any issues threading in, I will need to do this; and if it just turns out I need to do different needle lengths, I'll still do this if the person sends me the original needle back again.

Would love to hear thoughts - thanks for reading

Last edited:
Nice job of reverse-engineering
Last time I did something like this it was using my Unimat to make a needle for a Mikuni carb
on a '67 Kawasaki 250 twin back in the 70s
A much longer, thinner needle- took a lot of tiny cuts

Last edited:
That's a very interesting solution. If I read correctly, you still engaged the feed on the lathe (even though it was out by 3%) to advance the tap for the length of the thread, correct? And it still produced the correct threads per inch according to the tap?

I wonder if it would also be possible to feed by hand to match the thread pitch, kind of like hand-chasing a thread. The spindle would have to be running dead slow and the hand that was doing the feeding would have to be really sensitive, but....

Nice job on figuring a way to do it. :encourage: Do your parts fit, or do you know yet?

-frank

Very nicely done. Thanks for the descriptive write up and photos.
Having the ability to think through a process is more important than having the tools, but having the tools makes the thinking easier. :)

That's a very interesting solution. If I read correctly, you still engaged the feed on the lathe (even though it was out by 3%) to advance the tap for the length of the thread, correct?
Correct

And it still produced the correct threads per inch according to the tap?
It appears so, but I don't have a way to measure 19 thou/rev vs 19.6 though/rev -- and I didn't think to try and make a go/nogo thread gauge so I don't know yet

I wonder if it would also be possible to feed by hand to match the thread pitch, kind of like hand-chasing a thread. The spindle would have to be running dead slow and the hand that was doing the feeding would have to be really sensitive, but....
In theory it would. For larger threads, and a big depth of cut, and a rigid enough tap - in theory the carriage could self-feed with some help. However with as light a cut as I was taking on this due to wanting to avoid deflection in the part or tap, I doubt I could hand-feed close enough to avoid butchering most of the threads. My expectation is that as error accumulates (where the tap is vs where it should be), it wiil re-cut/destroy the threads that it cut first

Do your parts fit, or do you know yet?
Indeed I don't know quite yet, so I will post here with the outcome or next steps needed!

Very nice results; I’ve seen similar tap usage on YT, but larger pitch & diameter.

One concern: is the original straight (& deep) knurled so that a spring steel finger can be used to keep the needle from moving after adjustment, like this:

IMG_7870_Radiant_Photo.jpeg

Very nice results; I’ve seen similar tap usage on YT, but larger pitch & diameter.
thanks, I looked and wasn't immediately able to find someone doing external threads with a tap - I was curious about it before embarking on this. If you have any recommended watching, I'd love to see it
One concern: is the original straight (& deep) knurled so that a spring steel finger can be used to keep the needle from moving after adjustment, like this:
Indeed there is a spring that goes on to keep preload on the threads to avoid backoff. The person installing this will identify a spring that applies enough force once they know where the right adjustment range is and space available. Thanks!

thanks, I looked and wasn't immediately able to find someone doing external threads with a tap - I was curious about it before embarking on this. If you have any recommended watching, I'd love to see it

Yes, most show cutting internal threads with a smaller tap, but there are a few doing external threads. This is not the best example, but they get the job done:

This one’s not much better (keep waiting fir those loose long sleeves to get snagged):

I also found a couple showing using a tap to hob a worm gear, like this:

I had never even thought of using a tap to cut an external thread. I will store this away for future use someday.

To bad I did not see this until you were done.

Lots of places seem to have a M5 x 0.5p Tap and or Die.

Lots of places seem to have a M5 x 0.5p Tap and or Die.

Yeah, I did see that and they aren't that expensive, but I wanted to see about turning this around with what I had on hand, always fun to work with those constraints. Also I was concerned a die wouldn't thread well near the shoulder anyway

Last edited:
Back