Z Axis Power Feed for Precision Matthews PM-728VT Mill

chipinator

Registered
Registered
Hello all. I hope everyone is staying well. Looking around my Precision Matthews PM-728VT mill, I began wondering if there is a way to mount a power feed such as an Align power feed to the Z axis and still be able to use the hand crank/wheel for finer adjustments. I realize I can purchase a 3rd party Z axis power feed but I thought it might be a fun challenge to fabricate one. Before starting, I was wondering if anyone else has attempted a project like this? Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions would be helpful.

I know there are a few threads here on the subject....some toying with the idea, some completed. The ideal way is a motor connected to end of ball screw at top, short cut/easier is connecting to the spline under the crank handle. I have eyeballed my PM727m's for a while, I hate cranking that thing BUT...if it wasn't for cranking it, I'd forget to lock down the gibs and our machines have BUTTLOADS of movement in the Z axis if not locked down.

Hey GunsOfNavarone. Thanks for your insight. There is a 3rd party motor that connects as you descibe at the top end of the ball screw but I think that's going to be my last option. This is my first mill and wanting to be self sufficient, and maybe to learn a thing or two, I wanted to give it a try first or at least think through the process to see if it was even worth attempting. Would you happen to have an idea on what type of motor I could use to connect to the spline under the crank handle or how I could even do this? I'm trying to get some ideas at the moment.

There is a few threads here on the subject, here is that went to completion.
Z axis
I know there are simpler versions, though simpler may not be as ideal, but get you moving in the right direction.

Reviving an old thread, but have you solved this yet? If not, this looks like a great/easy fix. I'm wondering if the 728vt is close enough to my 727 to work as well...
Power lift

According to some sources, the Priest kit has a motor which is slightly under-powered. This resulted in the users either having to loosen their Z-Axis Gibs, or add a gas-spring to help lift the head. Other than that limitation (which is serious) I like the way they tie into the existing mechanism to drive the existing gear train. A beefier motor (or geared down more) would resolve the challenges the Priest modification suffers from.

I have a PM728vt, and will admit my right shoulder is not fond of cranking the head up and down.

Last edited:
Hmmm…the gear reducing motor is probably cheap/easy to source, I wonder if that’s an easy swap?

Blondihacks just did a video on installing one of Priest Tools on a PM25. Similar in nature.

@GunsOfNavarone & @addertooth
I considered purchasing a Priest Z axis power feed and spoke directly with Mr. Priest concerning the undersized motor issue. At the time I spoke with him, it's been several months ago now, he didn't seem to think there was an issue. Maybe he's changed his mind. I haven't spoken to him since though. If he sourced a bigger/better motor, I would be interested in making the purchase, but until then, I won't buy it.

Why not just get a stepper motor, stepper driver and power supply then add a rotary manual pulse generator?

At first it probably sounds expensive, but a power feed from PM is around $300, and the Priest Z Power Feed is $300 (with a questionable motor - I had the same thought when I saw the thing)

https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/products-page/mpgs/rotary-maunal-pulse-generator - $30 (this won't work without some additional equipment
Pulse generator on amazon - $15
Nema 23 is $20 - $50 depending on rating / Nema 34 is $30 - $80 depending on rating (amazon)
Stepper Driver - $40 (+/- (amazon)
Power Supply - Meanwell is around $40 for a 48v PSU (amazon)

$150 + some odds and ends like bolts and coupler and stock to machine a mounting plate? I dunno, something to think about. And you'd get a power down feed out of it too. If you don't might waiting a month or two, you can get it all cheaper from AliExpress.

Last edited:
Back