Z-axis DRO for Jet Mill/Drill

FanMan

Mechanical Hacker
Registered
So a guy at work found this old Mitutoyo DRO in the trash... dunno why it was thrown out but it seemed like it might be a little flaky... until I tightened the gib screws and replaced the battery. Anyway, with only a minor amount of work it was a big improvement to my JMD-15. The size and the included bracket seemed like it was made just for my mill. I made a spacer block, used the original screw holes that hold on the name plate, and a tab to attach the slide to the existing depth stop screw.

Z-DRO_287.jpgZ-DRO_497.jpg

Now I'm just waiting for the x- and y-axis DROs from davidh...

Z-DRO_287.jpg Z-DRO_497.jpg

Hi I've mounted a similar device on my machine but found that it's readings were inconsistent. Nothing wrong with the measuring device but rather the mounting (some misalignment causing binding). Have you measured how repeatable your DRO is? I test mine by placing a dial indicator in the spindle and then compare it's reading to those of the DRO. WJS

Yes, I checked it as soon as I mounted it, since I didn't know for sure why it was discarded. It doesn't agree with the index marks on the z-axis wheel, but it agrees with a dial indicator on the spindle.

I just completed a similar installation on my Enco 105. It and the DTI read the same movement. I welded an angle iron spacer between the u shaped mounting brackets then extensions on top & bottom to fasten each end of the DRO. Fabricated a tab on the quill that supports a rod connected to the movable part of the DRO. It looks pretty crude but haven't detected any binding etc.

Am I corect when viewing yor picture the read out stays stationary and the mounting brackets move up and down?

Your installation is much neater than mine.

Have a good day.

Ray

No, the brackets are fixed to the head (using the same holes that the data plate screws to), and the DRO moves , driven by a tab going to the quill stop screw. Ithink I need to redo that part with a better link, I think there is some flex there.

Back