Z Axis drill operated power feed

bobdog

Registered
Registered
Anybody ever use one of these. Do they work well. On a 1/2 inch drill. Is it enough power for 1/2 drill to operate knee up and down ? 1623189109304.png

I made one and use it with a 1/2” 18V (brushed) drill. It works well for big moves and then I switch to the hand crank for fine moves.

I made one for the Induma 1-S that I had, I did not have a reversible drill but it is easy to crank down, much more taxing to crank up.

I went the lazy way when I built a knee drive for my PM knee mill. Instead of hauling out the rotary table and cutting the crenelations, I simply tapped a circle of holes, screwed in nine 8-32 socket head cap screws. See post #17 at
It's worked very well for me ... plenty of power! I did make one change since I built it - removed the timing belt pulley "fine adjuster." Didn't really use it, and removing it allowed me to store the drill nose down in a nearby chunk of 2" PVC pipe.

Here are some recent photos of how I crank the knee ... either by power or by hand:
kHPIM0742.jpgkHPIM0743.jpgkHPIM0744.jpg

I hang mine on a short length of 8020 extruded aluminum, along with a rubber hammer, a VFD, and a shop towel bar. Red object in first photo is battery powered work light.

A similar solution for a power drawbar alternative is a right angle drill coupled with a separate right angle adapter.

Attachments

• drawbar1.JPG
    drawbar1.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 26
  • drawbar2.JPG
    drawbar2.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
One of the better things I've done in my life is to add a Z-axis Align drive. This has been well appreciated and I notice in general I work with the quill less extended since it's so easy to raise the table.

But there is a slight problem in that fine tuning of the Z axis, say you want to raise by 0.005" or so, is a bit awkward...first, if you are using the hand crank for that adjustment, you have to find it and put it on. Then, forget to remove it, you break your leg or arm the next time you go for the power drive. There is a goofy spring that keeps the crank from remaining on the shaft, but is so annoying I removed it. My solution is to get a 5" handwheel, smooth, no handle and put it on the shaft permanently. So I can use the power drive and still move the table a few thousandths by hand.

I have one of those adapters and it works nicely. I bought a low speed high torque drill motor that I use just for that.

I use one of these. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2794803

If you have a printer or know someone who does, they work well.

You do have to pay attention though, if you hit the end of travel, it breaks the plastic. I suspect that's nicer than breaking the drill though, so I just print a new one when I get stupid. :)

Back