Your ideas for a shop made O/A hand truck?

erikmannie

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have a gas welding cart. I will post pictures of it below. It is great, but I am going to buy an extra acetylene as well as oxygen cylinder, and I want to make a dual cylinder hand truck.

This will be nice for me because I will wheel the hand truck to the side yard, as I never use O/A inside the shop.

There is no need to cart *all* of the brazing, welding, and cutting accessories with me because I am only doing one process at a time.

I want to make such a hand truck from scratch. Do you guys have any ideas for this?

1C076A58-5A34-4671-8A14-FF57A774D843.png

0EDCB7B2-4A19-4092-9F33-06AC51152E90.jpeg

4E4CA816-DF6C-4D3B-98E6-1D3EB52AFA16.jpeg

Last edited:
All I need it to do is safely & securely hold the 2 cylinders. That is, I do not require it to hold any equipment such as hoses, torches, goggles, etc.

So all 4 cylinders at the same time?

No, the “dual cylinder O/A hand truck” that I am going to build will hold one acetylene cylinder and one oxygen cylinder, the exact sizes of which are shown in the photos above.

I know that I can buy one of these, but what fun would that be?

One inch thin wall square tubing is what I would use and since there's no need for extra compartments /storage, a (T) shape dolly with a tray on the end (to hold the two bottles) is all you need really, I would use bigger diameter wheels like 8"-10" and also I would weld a piece of angle iron near the bottom so you could put your foot against it to tilt the dolly on the two wheels, makes moving it a bit easier.

For what you describe I'd probably start with a good heavy duty hand truck and modify to your needs. It will probably be cheaper to start with a hand truck than fabricating the whole thing from scratch. Agree with Den-Den on the large tires.

Make sure you have a way to secure it at both the storage and use locations.

Something like this to start with, the wheels alone could cost you $40-100 so at least half the material cost is covered when buying the hand truck.

Milwaukee 800lb hand truck

Last edited:
Mine: oxy-acetylene cart. I call it a "cart", but it's more like a hand truck.

That video is pretty much what I had in mind for my project. Do you mind if I copy your idea, modifying it for my needs?

Were there any changes that you wish you would have made after using this O/A cart?

I would probably use .090” wall tubing & 3/32” stick electrodes (for speed and because SMAW is my favorite welding process).

Back