You Might Be A Hobby-machinist If.....

"You can eyeball what size wrench is required from 1/8" to 5/8" with uncanny accuracy. "
"You can recognize tools from the sound they make hitting the floor, sight unseen."

All too true for us amateur mechanics as well. (3/8" to 15/16" is my 'sweet spot')

The sound of the tool NOT making it to the floor is the most dreaded.

You stand in Sears and laugh at the goofy new tools they try to pawn off for Christmas presents each year. (I hate when I get that stuff.)

And I thought I was the only one.

Your 5 year old knows more tool and shop stuff than most grown men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.... you will not curse somebody by saying: "Screw you!" because you know screws are useful fasteners.

When you build a deck onto your house, it's dimensioned to tenths.

When you chuck a piece of rusty stock into the lathe and turn it just for the thrill of watching shiny metal appear.

When you spend 10 hours repairing a rusty broken putty knife (a la Tom Lipton).

When you deny ever leaving the key in your three-jaw chuck and turning on the lathe.

When you're swept with nostalgia as the closing notes of Adam Booth's theme music are played at the end of his YouTube videos.

When you refuse to admit that you used a hacksaw to part off a project on the lathe.

When you tune in to DoubleBoost's YouTube channel every Sunday night even though you can't understand a word he's saying

When your white tee-shirt has a vertical stripe of sulfur cutting oil spattered down it.

When your white tee-shirt has a horizontal stripe of sulfur cutting oil spattered across it.

When your white tee-shirt has a big cross of sulfur cutting oil on it.

When you own 53 calipers and have not used any of them since 1983.

When you respond to this thread.

.........You ask your neighbor if they are going to through that piece of metal out because you may be able to use it at some time in the future.

For me its more like digging through the nearby neighbors trash can when they are not around and pick out that piece of metal you saw them throw out earlier in the week.

When you have withdrawls if the Harbor Freight flier does not arrive on time...
And you keep opening your Email box... to get the newest Harbor Freight sale...

When the wife comes downstairs to see if you are burning in hell because of the smell of sulfur.:angel:

When you have withdrawls if the Harbor Freight flier does not arrive on time...
And you keep opening your Email box... to get the newest Harbor Freight sale...
You brought up a sore spot with me. I life 30 miles from HF. I usedta get their flyer. And then I'd happily drive to the store only to find they were suddenly "out" of almost everything they advertised. Nope. No more. Don't need the "Harbor Freight Heartache Flyer" (HFHF) around me no more.
But I'm not out to hijack a thread so back on topic: You might be IF:

Your favorite tool is a hammer. Not because you use it the most but because it's the first tool you made.

Back