You Better Be Sitting Down When Asking the Cost of Moving a Machine

meh, different strokes....

I can't stand the thought of sweating my wedding tackle off in the summer just standing in the shade. I much prefer my 4 seasons.

Like I said; different strokes......
I don't mind NE Ohio weather, but I'd be fine giving up winter, but not to trade it for a sweltering summer.

Sounds like the OP has it figured out and will get it done. If you need cheap help there's always the guys in the Home Depot parking lot but then they're on your insurance.

In my business I had a simple saying, "you can tell me what you want me to do, when you want it done, even how you want it done.... But, you can't tell me how much I'm gonna charge" Never failed to amuse me when someone walked in my door and said "I figure you could get this going for $20" Nope, I've got a minimum charge and if ya don't like it you can go to my competition....

As for climate, I've lived in central Arizona and northern Michigan but I love Santa Cruz weather. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer, can't beat it IMHO....

John

Definitely. I love the heat and humidity. It's still mid summer and I'm already cringing that fall is approaching. Different strokes........

Look at it from the company’s perspective. Two guys, maybe 3. A lift, skates, jacks, etc and a truck to haul everything. Then facto in some people’s 30 feet will be 300 yards across the neighbors flowerbeds and you can begin to see why the quote is so high.

You must be a small business owner. The '30' minutes is never just 30 minutes. The structure behind the scenes alone is more work than the actual work.

In this case there will be no need for jacks, skates, or any equipment other than a dolly. Two men should be able to do the job in less than 1/2 hour. When I had a company move the column for the Bridgeport they came and went in 20 minutes. They worked in this job between 2 larger jobs they had in the area.

It almost seems like these days moving companies only have a skeleton staff on duty and call-in people "as needed". As mentioned earlier when the employees are called in, they are guaranteed a full day's pay. I can understand that but would think there are enough small jobs that they could consolidate several to be done in a given area on a given day. I can't believe there are very many customers willing to pay in the $1,500.00 range for less than half an hour's work.

Not only am I not willing to pay those prices, I'm also quite sure I can disassemble the machine and move it to the shop by myself in less than half a day. I'm also quite sure I could have the machine up and running again in the same day if I were so inclined. As it sits now, I'll work in some disassembly and transport between other jobs as time allows. Once the machine is in the shop, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours to reassemble it and dial it in.
Have you considered using someone that moves gunsafes? 600# items are what they do all day.

As to my original reply, I wasn’t referring to your situation, but what the company probably gets told on a daily basis from lots of customers who don’t have a clue to what it weighs or what it takes to move it.

Took the saw apart and transported it to the shop yesterday. It took about an hour and a half. Now that I have it in pieces again, I'm ordering a set of leveling feet from McMaster. Rather than having it set level on the floor I'll put a slight pitch to the rear so the coolant will flow to the reservoir better. No more time to work on it this week so I'll start reassembly next week.

I'm going thru the same thing at this point , moving into a basement , although ground level . I've given up on the heating and condensation in the garage . It's a no win situation , I maintain more than I operate the equipment . :(
Thats the only way to have control of the area humidity and temp. For me it presents some difficulty bringing larger work through some spots, but it's worth it.

The machine is finally up and running in the shop. It took a little longer than expected due to the amount of junk that had to be hauled to the trash and recycle center before there was enough room to move it into position. I also had to move one of the outlets so I could plug it in.

I was originally intending to put a longer cord on this machine and on a couple others. As luck would have it when I went to Home Depot to buy some bulk cord they didn't have enough. Rather than wait a month or so for the cord to come in I just moved the outlet a few feet. Moving the outlet is easier than it sounds. It's an unfinished room with a number of 220 outlets mounted to the joists. Since I moved it back in the direction it was wired from there's sufficient wire.

The only thing remaining on the must do list is the make a few cuts and adjust the blade tracking as needed. There are a few things on the "would be nice to do" list like fabrication a better swarf disposal system and installing a larger coolant tank. Somehow, I think those projects are so far down the priority list it may take months, or even years before they happen.

…As for saving on the gym bills, that's a stretch at best. When I'm done at the end of the day I feel as though I've worked so hard, I should look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. However, when I look in the mirror all I see is a sweaty Elmer Fudd looking back at me.
Don’t confuse “big” with “strong”. Two very different things.

Storytime:

when I was a young pup, I had a friend who used to love triathlon/ironman competitions. He was just a short, slight build guy and you would have no idea under his shirt was pretty much just a hard ball of muscle. He was also francophone in a predominantly english place, so he got crap for his accent too.

One day a guy decided to act like a big man and push him around simply because he was bigger. He shoved my friend once (hard) and then warned me to stay out of it (I was a pretty big guy back then and had a “rep” as not to be messed with).

I looked at the guy and said “not my problem, have at it”, knowing full well how this was going to end.

Well, the guy grabbed my buddy and you could instantly see his face go from “I’m gonna kick your little wussy a$$” to “oh no, what have I done” as his hand closed down on my friends arm and he realized he had just grabbed ahold of what felt like an iron bar.

Me and my bud went to the cafeteria for a plate of fries after that and the “tough guy” went looking for the school nurse.

”Big” and “strong”….not the same thing….;)

Back